General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Which Rover for offroading?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Which Rover for offroading?

Other than the Defender series - What would make a great offroader?

I have always liked the Discovery I and II, but never owned either. The Range Rover "Classic" I understand would be another contender, not sure what years really would be best for either of these. I'm thinking a 2000-2002 Discovery II, or an up to '91 Range Rover classic.

Thoughts? I'm looking for hardcore trail/rock climbing. ARB air lockers front & rear, some lift just to fit tires for extra clearance, perhaps exo cage to keep it off the trees.

I'm I off base? Can any of these fit larger tires (35" tall-ish) without lots of headaches? What of these trucks has the best aftermarket support?

This is the kind of thing I do currently:

I'm looking for something with a bit longer wheelbase than my Jeep and Samurai have currently - and I'd consider a Mercedes G Wagen - but parts availability are really pretty horrid, since the ones made in the 90's weren't imported to the US without going Grey Market.

Thoughts?

I really think a 2002 LR Discovery II would fit this bill - but just not sure it can grow enough without going completely custom. I.e. Fit tires large enough for a good breakover angle for rock work, and flex enough for tough scenarios - and of course, lockers are a must! How tough are these trucks for REAL offroad use?

Dave

Old 06-21-2012, 10:27 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Dave, first of all, Rovers unlike other 4wheelers don't gain anything from going to 35" tires, 33's are about as far as is benefical unless you are going so totally hard core.
Defenders are great as are the longer wheel base D1 and D2's. The Classic is a great vehicle but parts are getting real hard to find.
Since you already have a couple of other vehicles, what specificaly would you be using a Rover for?

Old 06-21-2012, 10:27 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

go with a D1. cheaper upfront cost and the rear suspension will be easier to work with then the D2 with the lift and tires you are talking about. There are a few guys with 35 inch tires. they also have 3 links or coilovers, and yota axles conversions. if i were you i would look at some of hte tray backs and bob tails they do over in the UK.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Dave, first of all, Rovers unlike other 4wheelers don't gain anything from going to 35" tires, 33's are about as far as is benefical unless you are going so totally hard core.
Since you already have a couple of other vehicles, what specificaly would you be using a Rover for?
This would be totally hard core by most people's view, for sure. Just a change of pace from the short wheelbase of a Jeep and the Samurai.

How are the axles in a discovery I/II ? What does the discovery line have as weak points for real offroad? Low axle spline count - Do they break when they're locked? Do they brake when they get to 33" tires? Do they even make hardened alloy axleshafts for these trucks? I've got a set of Toyota axles I could throw under one, but I'm hoping they're stout enough to not need that kind of work due to all of their '4x4xfar' attitude?

Dave

Old 06-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

they are great 4x4's not rock crawlers. you can throw 3" springs and shocks 33" tires and have a locking CDL on a D2 with traction control and have a damn good time without lockers... once you get over that 3" lift and 33" tires you need to start changing stuff, you will start breaking half-shafts the drive shaft angle will be a mess, the axles will have moved and you will need caster corrected arms, adjustable panhard etc etc etc...

Old 01-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Rock Crawling

Well, I think It's ok to dig up an older post, if it was mine, and it's still the same topic.

The Disco fever is still haunting me. I believe I've narrowed down my thoughts to a 2004 Discovery II. I understand it could need rear suspension air bags removed and converted to springs. It looks like it's only 03 and 04 that had the 4.6 engine, but only the 04 has the CDL... Makes that decision easy huh?!

So, with that said - What would you look for? High miles and more work done, or less miles and no work done?

I almost feel guilty buying something with 50-80k and taking it directly into the woods...

Dave

Old 01-14-2013, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Range Rover Classic Long Wheel Base or a series III 109

Old 01-14-2013, 07:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're looking for hard core...what kind of highway/daily driving capability are you looking for with the LR? Does it need to be pretty at all? You could always find a cheap beater D1, swap out Toyota differentials, add a lift, swap axles and go from there. For daily driver duties I'd go for a late D1 or D2, but if you've got other vehicles to handle that why not just go ***** to the wall with a '95 D1? From what I've seen the modifications for big lifts apply for both D1's and D2's. What's your need?

Old 01-14-2013, 08:47 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
they are great 4x4's not rock crawlers.
This has been my experience. They flex nice, get good traction, and they're reasonably tough, but they also have some limits that are hard to overcome and frankly, it's much easier to achieve hardcore by starting elsewhere.

For hardcore use, the guy who starts with an old Toyota and swaps in junkyard one-tons with 37-39's will be way ahead and his total build cost will be less than what you pay for a stock DII. With the Jeeps, you can just buy aftermarket kit that will let you put 42's on and flex as well as any Rover. On the Discovery, you'll have a hell of a time overcoming the huge body overhangs, the difficulty of a one-ton swap, and the limits of little 33's.

They work well on easier trails and they're more comfortable than a Jeep, but the Jeep has the open-top, removable doors, and the four-link on the later model Jeeps flexes better than the radius arms on the Discovery. The Jeeps are usually lighter too.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
they are great 4x4's not ocean going vessels
Fixed that for you

Quick Reply: Which Rover for offroading?