General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rover won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 10:31 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rover won't start.

ive been having problems with my rover for a while now. Won't start when hot, even if it's just from the sun hitting it. Haven't driven it in months but it's getting cold now so I can't rely on riding my motorcycle every day. I put a new battery in it yesterday and it started and I took it for a good drive and put a full tank of premium gas in it. I was so happy to be driving it again because my wife has been bugging me to get rid of it. It's my baby. Anyways I went to start it today and it won't even turn over. I haven't told her yet because I don't wanna hear her say just scrap it again. What could be the issue? Please help guys I don't want to give her another reason to hate on my truck.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:34 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Rossmphoto
ive been having problems with my rover for a while now. Won't start when hot, even if it's just from the sun hitting it. Haven't driven it in months but it's getting cold now so I can't rely on riding my motorcycle every day. I put a new battery in it yesterday and it started and I took it for a good drive and put a full tank of premium gas in it. I was so happy to be driving it again because my wife has been bugging me to get rid of it. It's my baby. Anyways I went to start it today and it won't even turn over. I haven't told her yet because I don't wanna hear her say just scrap it again. What could be the issue? Please help guys I don't want to give her another reason to hate on my truck.

also does does anyone know of a good LR mechanic in Vancouver BC that's not a weasel?

Old 11-07-2017, 03:26 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,282 Likes on 899 Posts

So, when it doesn't start...it's as if the battery is dead and it doesn't crank over at all...correct?

But, if you wait until it is cooled off or it's cold out...it cranks normally and fires right up.

You changed battery and it fired right up, but fail to start the next morning...what was the condition of the battery at that point (bright head lights, everything else normal...but no crank?)?

If the battery is still fully charged and all of your connections are clean and tight and you have 12 volts at the starter on both wires (large continuously, small wire when key is in the crank position)...I'd be looking at the starter. If it is in a no start condition, pull the starter cover out of the way and cross the two terminals with a screwdriver and see if it cranks over. If it isn't in a no start condition at the moment, drive it around until warm and then when it doesn't start...cross the terminals and see if she cranks. If it doesn't crank, most likely you need a new starter.

Brian.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:29 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by The Deputy
So, when it doesn't start...it's as if the battery is dead and it doesn't crank over at all...correct?

But, if you wait until it is cooled off or it's cold out...it cranks normally and fires right up.

You changed battery and it fired right up, but fail to start the next morning...what was battery at that point (bright head lights, everything else normal...but no crank?)?

If the battery is still fully charged and all of your connections are clean and tight and you have 12 volts at the starter on both wires (large continuously, small wire when key is in the crank position)...I'd be looking at the starter. If it is in a no start condition, pull the starter cover out of the way and cross the two terminals with a screwdriver and see if it cranks over. If it isn't in a no start condition at the moment, drive it around until warm and then when it doesn't start...cross the terminals and see if she cranks. If it doesn't crank, most likely you need a new starter.

Brian.

it started perfectly after I put the new battery in. Parked it and locked the doors with my key because I don't have a fob. Never have. The very next day I unlocked the doors and tried starting it. It cranked at first but quickly stopped cranking and then nothing. Now all it does is faintly clicks right under the glove box. I'm thinking it has something to do with the alarm . Soooo frustrating. Can't afford/don't want to bring it to the dealership and get hustled.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,282 Likes on 899 Posts

If the battery is fully charged, I'd slide underneath and jump the terminals on the starter first, if it starts...then you have to start searching for a problem. Could be something as simple as a bad starter or loose connection at starter. Sometimes you have to get underneath and get dirty to solve some of these issues.

Brian.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:44 PM
4wd Low

just reread first post and saw 5 speed, maybe neutral safety, do five speeds have an interlock on the clutch pedal?

Old 06-30-2020, 07:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 67 Likes on 64 Posts

Thanks for the response.
As of now as a temporary setup I wired a momentary switch to the starter to get up and running. The starter fires right up and I can get my business done once again. I do recall a few years ago when my key would get stuck in the ignition. I came across a mod on this forum that involved removing the ignition switch from the truck and filing down a few lock tumblers. I reinstalled everything in the truck back than and never had a problem with turning the key or have it stuck in the ignition. Fast forward to now I am wondering if my ignition switch has simply expired?

After replacing both battery cables along with the ground strap that connects to the starter it was still a no go when turning the key - only the sound of the relay in the passenger footwell. I would think this has nothing to do with the alarm or safety switch since the momentary switch turns on the starter to rotate the engine and off we go with the truck running as usual.

Looks like an aftermarket ignition switch for the 5 speed can be had for under $100.00
The ignition switch for a automatic is still had by the OEM can cost over $500.00

Again this momentary switch is a temp fix to get me out of a jam. All this time I thought it was the starter, so I removed it and took it apart thinking the brushes needed to be replaced. I ordered the Denso high torque starter from classiccarperformance.com. Due to the covid-19 and protest I still have yet to receive the starter as of the time I am writing this now. So I ended up by a new starter from a local parts store. Hopefully I will be starter proof for awhile now since previously I had no backup starter anything.