General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Sad... Frame Rot

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sad... Frame Rot

Hi,

2001 Disco II SE7 with 74k miles. For several years I've noticed bad rust on rear step frame, and some on truck frame, but every time I mentioned it people were like - 'nothing to worry about - you'll die of old age before that rusts through.'

Wrong.

The frame itself is rotted and I can break off thick chunks of what looks like shale. I can push through the frame itself. Frame is shot.

Local guy says he found used frame in carolinas for about 1300 delivered, and for another 2k he will swap frames.

That seems worth it.

Other problems:

1. leaks engine coolent but doesn't seem to be head gasket as oil is not cloudy. I have to add maybe pint/week or 2.
2. AC hasn't worked in couple years. Had it refilled once and worked for couple of days then freon leaked out I suppose. This doesn't seem critical although someday I might get fixed.
3. Rear wiper hasn't worked in a couple years. Might have something to do with wife backing into tree... Noticed what looked like rear wiper fluid hose had melted through near exhaust.
4. Rear suspension. Changed compressor and bags but right rear still empties over night. Got new valves for compressor but havent installed yet.

So we love this truck and are nauseated by frame rust. Should I put 3-4k into it?

Are there any recalls or class actions on frame rust? Seems crazy to have such profound rust with low miles on 2001 vehicle - no?

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks.

Charles

Old 07-04-2010, 02:50 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

no recalls. Unless the frame rot is on at a suspension point then its nothing to worry about.

Fix the other stuff before fixing the frame. It will eat you alive in stuff broken and extra time.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Drifting
Default sleeve it.

New here and im sure any technicians will him and haw but find your good metal, weld up a sleeve that bridges the rust on three sides. Then round off the sharp angles put it on and weld it or braze it. Yes i know it sounds shady but i can tell you the three vehicles i have made sleeve's for are still running down the road 6 years later. Seriously $50 worth of metal or junk the thing. I am in michigan so our vehicles don't have to pass inspection but its a quick fix that will last if you get on top of the rust with some rust preventative.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Three Wheeling

Got the truck back last week. New frame looks great.

Now its back in shop with scraping noises - most seem to be from front and rear wheels like some crud got in wheels/calipers, but last night after crossing RR tracks there seems to be scraping noise all along front end.

Wife went to grocery store and said thee was god awful scraping noice then 3 amigos came on...

Oh god what now?

Last edited by Charles68; 10-25-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you rebuilt your front drive shaft? If not, I wouldn't drive it until that's done. That noise could be because it's ready to let loose. (Transmissions are not cheap) Also need to get an Amigo reader and find out what the codes are.

Eric

Old 10-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Default bearings

Mechanic got it up on lift and said one of the bearings is definitely loose.

Isn't that something he would have checked after rebuilding truck on new frame before returning it to me?

Are bearings big deal on 2001 disco II? How much for parts/labor estimate?

Thanks!

Old 10-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/TAY100050.cfm

There is no way in hell I would have replaced the frame unless the truck was sagging in the middle or a axle mount was about to fall off.

You cannot just replace the bearings, you have to replace the whole hub assembly.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Default inspection

I'll post some pics of frame. It was ridiculous. It had turned to shale.

I think if you lived in NH and wanted to drive it, you would have to replace frame. It won't pass inspection with perforations, and there was nothing to weld patch to.

So now its the damn hub.

Do you need to replace them in pairs?

Thanks!

Old 10-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

No, no need to replace them in pairs, just as needed.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Default TY

Thanks everyone for feedback -

It seems strange that bearings go right after guy finished swapping frames. We heard scraping immediately.

Could he have done something accidental to cause/speed failure?

Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Sad... Frame Rot