General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Salvaged LR4: Don't tread on me.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 02:59 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Cool Salvaged LR4: Don't tread on me.

2012 Land Rover Lr4 Hse Salvage Cert-Flood Title SUV for sale in Chicago South, IL at Copart Auto Auction lot 27449553

I feel mixed emotions here and certainly could cry. A 2012 LR4 being of off at under $3,000.... water damage, vehicle flooded. So I will ask the most absurd question in my career on this forum: what would it take to get a flooded LR4 road worthy and fully functional? Be it DIY mostly job. I'm a cheap guy who's always looking for a bargin and a salvaged LR3-4 might be in my budget.

So without details on the vehicle in question, what kinds of damages are likely to have occured on a flooded Disco 4? Is the engine toast or is it most likely just a electrical and software issue? Another member on here scored bank when he paid $5,000? for a nice But salvaged LR3. I want to do the same. Beats paying $10-$20,000 for a fully loaded HSE. If it needs some minor body work I can live with that. Would not plan on selling it either so a salvage title would not bother me. Honestly I brought home around $8,000 from my Alaskan adventure last season and I'm probably going back next season. Seems like I may be able to get a nice LR3 HSE with salvage title for a couple grand, pay another grand to have it shipped here and Is score bank. I don't know if the website is legit or not but I've googled a hand full of sites that deal with salvaged cars for sale. I'm really seriouse about this. Sorry I pissed anybody off with ACE questions. But I'm absolutly serious here and want some good input on the matter. It's taken me years to come to terms with the uglyness of the new Discos, but with all the tech on board and how big and modern they are, naturally I'm craving one now. And with how cheap they appear to be selling as salvage I could still have enough $$$$ left over to buy some modes, address air suspension (arnott) and throw on milled 18"D2 hurricane wheels onto the LR3!

Here's a more practial one: 2005 Land Rover Lr3 Salvage Certificate Of A Vehic Title SUV for sale in Helena, MT at Copart Auto Auction lot 13088443

Old 11-01-2013, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

It depends on the vehicle and how deep the water was and if it was running.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
It depends on the vehicle and how deep the water was and if it was running.
My immediate thoughts too - was it seawater or freshwater?. It doesn't look that bad in the photos but they can be deceiving. First job is wash off the engine bay a dry it with an airline then take all the plugs out and stick an endoscope into the plug holes hooked up to a laptop for zoom purposes. That'll tell you whether the bores have filled up or it's been hydraulically locked whilst running. Obviously you'll need to drain down ALL the fluids and oils and replace in case water had entered via breathers. Sounds like a viable project from the photos.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

If its one from the flooding in Chicago about a month back its filled with storm drain and sewer back up. From heavy rain, so fresh water if you can call it that. Bringing that back will be a nasty job.

Flooding will affect the electronics in ways your not thinking of. Corrosion in connectors wires sensors. Whole systems could be fried. You could easily spend 3 times the amount they are getting for it on repairs.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
If its one from the flooding in Chicago about a month back its filled with storm drain and sewer back up. From heavy rain, so fresh water if you can call it that. Bringing that back will be a nasty job.

Flooding will affect the electronics in ways your not thinking of. Corrosion in connectors wires sensors. Whole systems could be fried. You could easily spend 3 times the amount they are getting for it on repairs.

This. been there done that. Flood damages on late model vehicles are a nightmare, and usually not worth the time. body panels can rust out front the inside out, wiring issues you will never sort out, cant imagine wiring issues on a late model rover thats been submerged.

God help your if its salt water. Youve never seen corrosion like saltwater damage on aluminum engine bits.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:07 PM
TReK

Well considering the estimated repair cost provided on the site which puts it around $36,000 I think Ill pass but man its tempting....... nevertheless Im still interested in getting a salvaged title LR3 HSE so this method is not out of the realm of possibility. Ill take everyones word for it though and stay clear of flooded vehicles. Man what a waste and such a beautiful Disco........

Old 11-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will probably end up being parted out. Worth more in bits than as a whole. I wouldn't touch a flood damaged LR (or any other modern car with the vast array of electronics and wiring for that matter). Insurance wrote it off for a reason.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:30 PM
TReK

yeah but sometimes insurance companies are to quick to write things off as total loss. I found a D2 a couple years ago with minor front end damage and the insurance company wrote it off as totaled. Needless to say the owner got the truck repaired. There was no structural damage and the side panels were not damaged. Just the bumper grille and headlights.

In any case I see a way to benefit from easy write offs cause that means I may be able to buy a $15,000 vehicle for $3,000!

But my original question here. Has anybody delt with these companies or websites that supposedly sell salvaged vehicles as shown in the links provided? There is a sign up fee on the website I think it cost $250 or something like that. I have no problem with that if the potential to get a cheap salvaged vehicle is legit. But I can see how this could end up being a good scam........