General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Should have known better.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 07:07 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should have known better.

Hey everyone. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice. I should have known better but I loaned my LR2 to an old friend for a couple weeks so he wouldn’t have to pay for a rental while his rig was in the shop. Upon getting the keys back he told me that he ran it out of fuel not once but twice, the following day it was hard starting, I checked the engine oil and somehow it was low. I’ve never witnessed any sign of burning oil and there is no leaks. I’m under the assumption that he probably was driving it extra hard at high speeds, as that is the only time I’ve seen oil level drop is when I take it on an extended freeway trip. My question is- are there any additives that may help reduce any possible damage done to the FUEL PUMP(lubricants, etc) from running it out of fuel(the pump was new 6 months ago) and what additive can I add to the engine oil now that it has been driven in very very low oil conditions. Should have known better. Edit: 2008 LR2 with 160k miles

Old 08-29-2023, 01:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Ouch. That's a tough situation.
re the fuel pump, there's nothing I know of that can lubricate a fuel pump that won't just be washed out by gas. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about that though - I've never had a problem with a fuel pump dieing just from being run out of gas once or twice - I know it can happen but I don't think it's terribly common.

For the oil, I wouldn't assume it's your friends fault unless he really did beat on it. I mean he's definitely an a**hole if he did run it hard *and* ran the gas low twice, but even so, a good engine shouldn't burn oil just because it's being run hard imho.
You said you've seen this before with it burning a lot of oil? Are you sure it was full when you loaned it out? Oil burning can be nearly cured in some cases with a BG EPR and MOA treatment if it's because the oil return rings are clogged - just an idea...
I'd recommend that treatment anyway since it was run low on oil - nothing can cure worn bearings from low oil pressure but a flush and oil treatment *might* help prevent further damage.

Last edited by tracyc; 08-29-2023 at 01:17 PM.