General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

So I bought a P38

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 11:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts
Default So I bought a P38

I dunno why. Answered a craigslist ad that simply said " Older Range Rover for sale" No pics. I was expecting a RRC. When I got there (it was right up the street from me) I saw this P38 sitting there. I was a bit surprised. It has a dig on the passenger fender. The rest of the truck is straight. The interior is in excellent shape except for the headliner. The EAS has been eliminated. Good. The owner said it had a coolant leak but didn't know where. It also had the CEL on. This the truck I asked about the CEL issue in the RR section. I drove the truck and put my scanner on it. Turns out the coolant is leaking at the intake. May be loose. May not. When I discovered the funky check engine light issue I walked away.

That was a couple weeks ago I guess. I got a call from the owner telling me he was moving and how much I wanted to give. I made a ridiculous offer and he took it. I went and gave him cash for it. I discovered he also had extensive history on the truck. It had been serviced at the local dealership. He had owned it for 3 years and driven it daily.

Not sure wtf I'm gonna do w this thing. I now own 3 Rovers and an MG. Plus my company truck. Maybe fix and sell. Maybe keep stock and drive. Maybe build up to replace th disco eventually. I guess i could always part it if I cant fix it. I don't know. I do know If I keep it I will be buying one of those BCM sync tools. Just incase. I've watched a ton of how to vids. Problems. Solutions. Build threads. Forums. Blah blah. Still undecided.

Just out of curiosity...do these suffer from the same driveline vibes at above a 2 inch lift? Do they need all the same mods like brake lines cranked arms etc to go above 3"? I read Lucky 8's build thread last night. Good info there. Some inspiration some let down.

Last edited by Shiftonthefly1; 10-23-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

They can be fantastic off road. You will still need to do the basics with a lift above 3" but I don't believe you will need new arms up front but trailing arms would be good.

Oh and congrats on being braver or crazier than me and taking the P38 plunge

Old 10-22-2015, 12:57 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

I dreamed of owning a good one until I had a motor rebuilt for one I bought by a "reputable" shop and it ended up having low compression on all cylinders. I lost heart and parted it out.

As for the BECM tools, the P38 BECM is funky. If its locked there are a lot of things you can't do(most are locked).

I have a very knowledgable friend who is "P38 for life". He actually has some custom made software/hardware to re program the ECU/BECMs on the P38s. His name is rover Scotty, Lucky8 actually used him on their project P38 to reprogram a BECM for them and he supplied the rear ladder.

Here is his website. Not cheap, but he is the best and is always helpful.

WWW.BECMDOCTOR.COM

The following users liked this post:
Shiftonthefly1 (10-23-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 03:49 PM
Pro Wrench

Oh yea it's a 98. Forgot that part. It says "vogue " on the back. Along w a Rhino emblem on tailgate and front fenders. Where these even options then? I thought that wasn't around till 2000? I wonder if someone just ordered and stuck those on it.

Abran was Rover Scott the same guy they had the big spat with on that build thread?

Old 10-23-2015, 06:07 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

is the interior dark gray Rhino?
4.0 or 4.6?
there is a ebay company p38-spares has all the little goodies needed for a p-38.
you can get a complete program for all p-38 service or a simple obd2 dongle the will reset your BECM's your choice.
you probably want to check the under hood fuse box, pull the #7 relay it will probably be toasty under it. there were three different boxes used 98-99 and they do not interchange, be sure of the number if you need a box.

Last edited by drowssap; 10-23-2015 at 08:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Shiftonthefly1 (10-23-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 09:04 AM
Pro Wrench

Interior is the color of a football. Brownish tan. I assume with that color it's not a Rhino. Although I'm not entirely sure what that even means.

I had the completely different Borg Warner case in my RRC and I never had a single problem with it. The coupling is a little scary. But I think with the addition of a locker in the rear at least it should be fine if I decide to keep it. As much as I don't want to, I do love the refinement and build quality over other models. It's like night and day.

Do any suspension pieces swap over from the Disco? I think the springs will. Nor sure.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:38 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

I don't remember three being any issue with him in their blog thing. I can't imagine it possible, the guy is too nice!

Old 10-23-2015, 10:36 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

im not sure if it was 98 or 99 they swapped over to the disco style axles

Old 10-24-2015, 10:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

99 - First used on the Callaway due to the beefed up ponies and torque. That is the only model P38 I want. The Callaway front axles where modified further than the DII's and then used on all HSE 4.6 models from 2000 until 2002. The Vogue and Rhino Editions didn't come out until 2000, you nailed it. The Vogue was Alveston red with red carpet, white seats and the Rhino was Bonetti grey with grey Rhino hide seats and grey wood accents.

Hey, at least you picked a GEMS FI equipped truck, easy to figure that part out....or not.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:20 PM
Pro Wrench

Haha. Yea. For the most part. This whole time I thought the Bosch engine block was different. Still lots to figure out I guess. I should have the P38 home soon. I picked up a fender for it. Then on to diagnosis of the crap wrong.

Quick Reply: So I bought a P38