General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

So I want to do a Baja trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 08:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts
Default So I want to do a Baja trip

My trip would be starting from my home in Vegas. I'm going to post this on a few different forums to get as many opinions suggestions and advice as I can get. I'll most likely be going solo w my dog as the majority of my friends don't seem to want to go. I plan on going in May or September depending on funds and work I get done to the truck. Trip time will be about 2 weeks. Tentatively the wife will meet me in Cabo on a flight.

I'll explain my truck first. What I've done to it and what my plans are for the next few months to get it going. None of this is specially for this trip. This set up will get used extensively if it all works out on the trip.

1988 Range Rover Classic

4.2 V8. Currently in middle of doing a top end rebuild. The bottom end is in very good shape. Installing reman heads w new valves/guides and seals, new rocker arms, CraneCams lifters, a new cam, double roller timing chain, new water pump, fan clutch, oil pan gasket, oil pump, and all the other associated gaskets.

I had my Mean Green 200 amp alternator tested and cleaned up.

Dual Interstate 1000 CCA batteries. Less than a year old.

New belts. Hoses. Radiator. Thermostat. New cap, rotor, Kingsborn wires, plugs, IGN amp module replaced and relocated.

Trans filter and fluid changed. No noteworthy residue when I dropped the pan. Shifts fine. I've got a weird but cool belly pan armor plate that covers the Pan and some of the TC.

2" TerraFirma HD springs and ProComp shocks. I've yet to try out this combo so these may get replaced. My MD OME lift was sagging badly when I was fully loaded so I needed to make a change.

24 spline rear Detroit locker with HD GBR shafts and drive flanges.

Rear fuel tank skid. Front steering skid. RTE dampener relocation brackets. Procomp steering dampener. HD steering bars. Rebuilt steering box.

Rear ARB bumper. Front brush guard. Twin 6" HID lights.

5 BFG KO2's mounted on steel wheels. They have less than 5k miles on them.

D2 weather stripping. Manual D1 seats that have been recovered/rebuilt. Extensive heat/sound insulation.

I've driven this truck for awhile before I blew the head gasket. I will obviously do an extensive test on the truck before taking it on this trip.Most everything works. I have no draws or shorts. This was a dry climate truck so I don't have corrosion/rust issues.

My current spares:
3 IGN amp modules. 2 complete distributors. A set of wires. Cap/rotor. Another set of plugs. 2 ign coils. Two fuel filters. Two fuel pumps(electric part only). A full set of new belts. All hoses. Various relays/fuses. Wire. Hose clamps. Front and rear drive flanges. Swivel shims. Thermostat. 2 Exhaust rubber hangers. 2 wheel bearings.

Recovery box includes:
The obvious tool set. Along w axel nut tool. Huge-tiny zip ties. All fluids. A bottle jack. Various nuts/bolts. Gasket paper. Duct tape. Gloves. Mechanics wire. JB weld. An actual paper shop manual. Big wrenches. Breaker bar. A few funnels. WD40. Starting fluid. A Smittybuilt compressor w extra hose. Tire repair kit. Bearing grease.

My planned modifications/updates include:

A full roof rack to replace my Yakima box/generic rack set up.

A rear swing out tire set up. Either custom made or purchased. This I want two Jerry cans so I always have plenty of fuel.

A front winch bumper/winch.

Sand tracks.

Either a RRT or a drawer system that would allow me to sleep on top of it inside the truck.

A full brake job including all wheel bearings pads and rotors.

I want to buy a complete 24 spline front axel. I will add a TruTrac front diff and rebuild the entire thing. Including swivels CV's and Genuine bushings.

I need a headlight upgrade. Mine suck. Either HID, Halogen or LED

Finish the snorkle.

My friend has a rebuilt 1.4 transfer case that he hopefully will sell me soon. With all this weight I'd really like to have a bit of a lower gear on the road.

I plan on doing about a 50/50 off-road/on road while there. I want to explore and see both coasts. The plan is to camp the majority of time. Maybe hit a hotel in Lapaz then head to Cabo.

So am I missing anything? Suggestions? I welcome any criticism.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

I'm thinking about that same trip. I think it's a great idea!

I have sailed a small boat from LA down to Cabo before and I've made stops in some natural harbors (not much in the way of industrial "ports" after Ensenada until you reach Cabo) and the locals were always friendly and had plenty of food and fuel for sale, but...

Take a Cabo-Filter to filter any fuel that you buy, otherwise expect to get water in your tank+motor. You *are* leaving civilization mostly behind in the middle of Baja.

Also, don't go in May.

Cabo is scalding-hot in November. In Winter. You'll think that you are in Saudi Arabia in May/June. It's as though you cross some invisible high-temperature line somewhere mid-way between San Diego and Cabo.

I've walked The Strip in Vegas in the middle of the Summer and melted the soles on my tennis shoes due to the roasting sidewalk.

That's Cabo in the Fall.

Great food all the way down. Find where the locals are eating out. Worth it! Myriad places to camp. Worth it!

Old 01-21-2018, 02:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Once you feel the RR is in shape for the distance stick fairly close to the main roads.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Sounds like a fun trip, please just be careful. A company I used to work for outfitted racing trucks with Gps tracking for Baja racing. Every year the guys would take 'extortion' money with them as it seemed they were pulled over from time to time and harassed for whatever they could provide. They were, of course, in the desert and on the backroads - I assume that is what you're considering? To each their own but I'm not very good with adventures....I get myself into more trouble it seems.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

I wonder if a drone for remote viewing and adventure selfies would be a good idea?

Old 01-22-2018, 11:44 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by No Doubt
I wonder if a drone for remote viewing and adventure selfies would be a good idea?
A drone would be great. It's a matter of cost.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

You have most of the big stuff covered. a 1.4 would be nice for your weight but you do have a V8 so a 1.2 would do ok.

For rear springs if you don't like the TF, try the OEM LR 110 HD springs. Not too expensive, good drop in for weight.

Bring a few spare bearing sets for the hubs, check your prop shaft joints, maybe bring at least one spare joint.

Presume you have tools for the basic things, in addition to the 2x 9/16 wrenches for the shaft flanges, fan wrench, hub nut socket, snap ring pliers etc.

For snorkel when you finish do a pressure test (can put together fittings to attach a valve, gauge, and disconnect link for a standard air compressor. Test to 3psi, that would be max the snorkel would ever have to endure.

For sleeping system try drawers, less attention drawing, safer, easier, useful. Had some and they were great to sleep on in the back.

Try getting in touch with the LR owners club in baja. They have coordinated in the past with the california clubs to do trips together.

Good luck!

Old 01-22-2018, 07:29 PM
Pro Wrench

After doing some research. Talking to a bunch of people and reading some travel guides. I think it may be safer and more advisable to do this in a group. Or at least one other person/vehicle. Less stress on me and my truck. Still planning and kicking it around.

Old 02-26-2020, 05:49 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread ...

Group is why I'm getting a Toyota overlander. Solo Rover not worth the risk. You could carry an emergency dirt bike but its limited. Only way I'd do a wilderness solo is with a satellite phone.That's what you need in the outback. Don't trust your life with a please come and get me GPS text. Ta0lk to a person - don't risk it. For that you need a super expensive oceanic satellite phone. Just my 2 pence. But whatever. Im over it and getting a Toyota. Rover has been spoiled rotten with troves of cash and garage time - now it's dying for no reason.

Not gonna put anymore quid into it. The money pits gotten all its gonna get. Toyota from here out. I want to go out solo more. Long camping. The Rover is holding me back. Every time the ****er makes a noise - paranoia. Whats that noise how much will it cost. Preparing for a trip should be about having fun .. weather .. supplies. Not when is the ****er gonna break down.