General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

So which one is intake & which is exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 04:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So which one is intake & which is exhaust?

O.k. so I took this down for head gasket job one year ago. Was in an accident and just recently was my shoulder strong enough to think about putting it back together. When I started I didn't notice and things got moved. Measurements are good, (had to replace one rocker arm but otherwise good) but which push rod is for intake and which for exhaust? One has a wider ring on the head than the other one.

Attached Thumbnails So which one is intake & which is exhaust?-wp_20150829_13_47_47_pro.jpg  
Old 08-29-2015, 05:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by robersonb
O.k. so I took this down for head gasket job one year ago. Was in an accident and just recently was my shoulder strong enough to think about putting it back together. When I started I didn't notice and things got moved. Measurements are good, (had to replace one rocker arm but otherwise good) but which push rod is for intake and which for exhaust? One has a wider ring on the head than the other one.
As far as I know, they are the same, it could be the ones with the wider ring, has been worn down.(or kind of flattened). You normally want to put them in the same place as before, because of their wear pattern.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Default wear

Yeah, I am aware that they should go in the same place now. They got moved while I was hurt. It isn't wear because I have an equal amount of both. Just not sure which one goes into the intake side and which for the exhaust.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by robersonb
Yeah, I am aware that they should go in the same place now. They got moved while I was hurt. It isn't wear because I have an equal amount of both. Just not sure which one goes into the intake side and which for the exhaust.
I hear ya, I did a hg job on son's 04, and did not look that close at the push rods. I just have never seen different push rods for int/exh. But, I have only built sb Chevy engines. I am going to look in parts manual and see if there are different part numbers. Ya got me curious.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Default push rods

O.k. so actually I think they are all the same. One side has a narrow band and other wide band so which side goes down toward the valve and which side up toward rocker arms?

Old 08-29-2015, 08:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Normally the lifters would take the smaller end, and the rocker the wider end. The lifter is just pushing straight up and down, whereas the rocker is moving lets say lateral, although not much.

The following users liked this post:
robersonb (08-29-2015)
Old 08-29-2015, 08:46 PM
Rock Crawling

That is what I was thinking of doing if I didn't get any responses. Ready to tie this thing back together and start driving it again.

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954
Normally the lifters would take the smaller end, and the rocker the wider end. The lifter is just pushing straight up and down, whereas the rocker is moving lets say lateral, although not much.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Good luck with it, and let me know how it is running.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Not to butt in here but had to. ALL solid pushrods from the 3.9 to the 4.6 are the exact same AND have the same size ball on both ends. There isn't a small end/big end and any slop is going to be mostly taken up by the lifters no matter which way they go in and at this point since they've been mixed up it really doesn't matter except to match them as best as possible throughout the motor. Those are worn push rods and badly I might add. They're $3.95 ea ($63.20 + shipping for all 16 at Rovahfarm.com). Your going to notice a lumpy running motor that ticks with those. You'll want to check each rocker for damage/wear to the push rod sockets and the valve tips - make sure all the rockers have the valve tips! I'd suggest internally cleaning the rocker shafts/rocker oil ports because the push rods show low oil pressure wear. Chemdip or acetone and soak for a day, blow out with compressed air. The rockers will need a little more attention - use a dental pick to clear the oil ports.

I got it that you need to get the truck up and running but if you can go a little further with it so you don't have to worry later on...... pay me now or pay me latter with a bigger number kind of thing.

The following users liked this post:
robersonb (09-01-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 09:29 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for that. I would rather solve the problem now than break it open again. Will look at Rovers parts. I stayed with the old because I thought the one piece rods looked better than the new design with a pressed in tip. I did replace one rocker arm that had a chipped area on it.

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Not to butt in here but had to. ALL solid pushrods from the 3.9 to the 4.6 are the exact same AND have the same size ball on both ends. There isn't a small end/big end and any slop is going to be mostly taken up by the lifters no matter which way they go in and at this point since they've been mixed up it really doesn't matter except to match them as best as possible throughout the motor. Those are worn push rods and badly I might add. They're $3.95 ea ($63.20 + shipping for all 16 at Rovahfarm.com). Your going to notice a lumpy running motor that ticks with those. You'll want to check each rocker for damage/wear to the push rod sockets and the valve tips - make sure all the rockers have the valve tips! I'd suggest internally cleaning the rocker shafts/rocker oil ports because the push rods show low oil pressure wear. Chemdip or acetone and soak for a day, blow out with compressed air. The rockers will need a little more attention - use a dental pick to clear the oil ports.

I got it that you need to get the truck up and running but if you can go a little further with it so you don't have to worry later on...... pay me now or pay me latter with a bigger number kind of thing.

Quick Reply: So which one is intake & which is exhaust?