General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

SPIDER BYPASS

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 07:49 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPIDER BYPASS

Good day guys

I have heard a lot about the spider unit failing on landies. The solder cracks on the board which leaves you stranded. If this happens in the bush, what is the best way to bypass the spider just to get the disco started and get home.Mine is a 97 300tdi.

Ps. Mike, i have booked in my truck for a coolant pressure test next week monday. The workshop tells me they fill the radiator to the top. They then remove the injector wires so that it cranks but not start. If the coolant level fluctuates, then the is a leak somewhere. Is this ok.

Many thanks and regards
Suveer

Old 04-24-2007, 09:57 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: SPIDER BYPASS

I have not heard of that testing procedure before, doesn't mean it is not right though. We don't have alot of diesels on this side of the pond, but from my experience, attaching a hand held pressure pump to the coolant recovery bottle has worked on everything I have tested in the past.
As for your dif blowing while off the road, unfortunately it is kind of common for Rovers to do this, their design is so light duty. I have had a number of friends drive back home after breaking the spider gears, they just drove slowly while leaving the t/case locked up. It is harder to do with a D2 because of the difference in the 2 vehicles axle housing design, but it can be done although you stand to do more damage as you continue to drive.
The best way around this issue or concern is to replace the stock diff assembly with a more H.D. case like a locker or diff with more spider gears.
Mike

Old 04-25-2007, 03:38 AM
Drifting

Disco Mike

I was referring to the spider box under the dash, for the immobiliser. Sorry if i didn't describe it properly.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Adz
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to run a diesel on 1 wire to the injection pump - I'll do a bit of research for you and try to find out what you'd need.

Cheers,

Old 04-25-2007, 07:12 PM
4th Gear

I had the same problem two years ago. The spider is located near the heating controls and because of the heat the unit does get damaged. I have installed a new one and have placed it on top of the steering column. Problem now is I have a key fob with some electronic thing in it that I have to pass over the unit every time I want to drive. If you wish I could send you a picture of the unit or even a part No.........good luck

Old 04-26-2007, 05:26 AM
Drifting

thanks, will appreciate the picture.