General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Steering sticks and is loose

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 11:43 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering sticks and is loose

First off I want to make it perfectly clear that I know NOTHING about Land Rovers. I recently bought my first and am in the learning curve
I am very mechanically inclined though and the only Rover shop around is the dealer (I refuse to go there). The steering issue that I am having is that when I turn a sharp right (turning a corner) the steering sticks to the right position. It is not a power steering issue. I can hear and feel a pop in the steering column. This only happens when turning right. The steering is also loose with a lot of free play when driving down the road, I'm thinking maybe a new steering box and rack rebuild, but I am much more familiar with engines than steering/suspension. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

Old 06-14-2014, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

My crystal ball tells me that you drive a pink Freelander. Is it right?

Old 06-15-2014, 12:13 AM
Drifting

Yes, it was my gift for selling a LOT of Mary Kay. My apologies, I did forget to mention that it is a 2000 Discovery.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe ujoints in the lower shaft?

My 2003 steering would bind when a motor mount broke as was pressed up agains the shaft.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:46 AM
Drifting

Motor and trans mounts are fine. I will check and grease the u joints and keep updates about the situation. Thanks!

Old 06-15-2014, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Also if there steering is loose, I'd check all of the tie rod ends. If one is messed up it might be binding I suppose.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:31 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Urgent
Before doing anything on a Flandie steering rack check to see if it has torn away from the bulkhead.

The driver's side is most affected where the bolts sheer off. Mostly due to long term in security of the rack!

The nutserts inserted on production which take the 10mm bolts are hidden inside a box section and it means removing the whole rack & dropping the power pack or boring two holes in the body from the driver's floor area.

Don't ignore this possible issue; ultimately the rack can detach itself from the vehicle and you will have no steering.

Get a Professional to check your steering immediately.
I have fixed three such incidences one was the cause of an accident!
T/V

Old 06-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tuercas viejas
Urgent Before doing anything on a Flandie steering rack
It's a disco. My crystal ball was wrong.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:41 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes And I just saw Flandie mentioned!
Just that the last vehicle of this type I fixed with this problem on also had body damage having collided with a motorcycle at speed. Killed the rider!

All the more reason I suppose to have the steering checked if you are unsure of the problem.
Cheers T/V

Old 06-15-2014, 07:31 PM
Drifting

I had a leaking box when I bought mine, dealer put in a used one, there was a dead spot that locked up when turning right. I had to change it again and have had no issues since. Scared the wife enough that she refused to drive it

Quick Reply: Steering sticks and is loose