General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

still tickin??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 12:06 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default still tickin??

I have a 96 D1 4.0L I just did the valves( decarbon, recut seats, new inlet seals, checked cam and lifters for wear.. etc....) Put it all back together, new gaskets, seals everything. It is ticking on the passenger side like before the valve job only now I have power because the valves are actually sealing, and not causing miss fires. My question is what is the tick?? It sounds like the mid pipe to the manifold connection is leaking. I took it apart and even tried doubling the gasket with still no luck. Is it the rockers, or possibly the lifters even though they were good according to the rover manual??? They are hydraulic lifters. And I belive they are not adjustable. The rockers and everything was torqued exactly as the rover manual states. Any help would be appreciated......Thanks ----------------- Tim

Old 08-31-2006, 03:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: still tickin??

Rocker arms and shafts are a known issue on these engines--and the symptom is a ticking noise as you describe. And-- only sometimes can you get away with replacing the arms themselves. You would have to visually inspect the shafts at the rocker pivot points and slide a new rocker arm onto each location and check for play. Just curious---did you put the pushrods back in the exact location they came out of?

Regards,

Geoman

www.eurotekapg.com

Old 08-31-2006, 10:50 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You might also inspect the exhaust manifold and studs for cracks or breaks, this is a common Rover noise.
Mike

Old 08-31-2006, 02:17 PM
7th Gear

Manifold and studs are good no cracks or anything and yes I put the pushrods back in the same exact location they came from with the same end up.......Tim

Old 09-09-2006, 12:31 PM
8th Gear

One more thought on the noise. I had a ticking noise for a while that I couldn't figure out on my 97 Disco. I finally broke down and took it to the dealer. The noise was coming from my catalytic converter. There was a part inside that was loose. Just listening to the engine sounded like it was coming from the engine. In fact when you increased RPM the noise increased the same. Just a thought.