General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Superlock - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 03:34 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superlock - need advice

My 04DII is stuck in superlock. FOB does not work and door lock just spins. Dealer wants to issue new FOB and program it and replace door lock. Do I need to do both or can I just replace key FOB. The unlock function on the FOB should unlock the door. Am I correct or do I need to both.

BTW quoted $1000 to do both. Trying to avoid having to pay a grand for this.

Thank you
Richard

Old 02-22-2016, 04:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Wow, that's some bad luck.

There's a metal link between the outside cylinder and the lock assy, which locks and unlocks the truck. It would seem that yours has snapped.

What's wrong with your fob? Dead battery, or the button doesn't work any longer? If it's the button, it's likely a bad microswitch under the button. If you pop open your fob, and pull the circuit board, you'll see that there are two microswitches. The lower one is the unlock switch. If you short the two solder pads with a paperclip or something, you'll probably get it to work well enough to get you inside of your truck.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:37 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
Wow, that's some bad luck.

There's a metal link between the outside cylinder and the lock assy, which locks and unlocks the truck. It would seem that yours has snapped.

What's wrong with your fob? Dead battery, or the button doesn't work any longer? If it's the button, it's likely a bad microswitch under the button. If you pop open your fob, and pull the circuit board, you'll see that there are two microswitches. The lower one is the unlock switch. If you short the two solder pads with a paperclip or something, you'll probably get it to work well enough to get you inside of your truck.

FOB circuit board damaged. I tried to put a new microswitch on it. The FOB only locks not unlocks. When I do hit the lock button you can see the door lock moving down.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

The cheapest FOB route is from
Land Rover Discovery II Key Fob Programming Services
Cost you 180.00 up front, they will send you the key and programmer, programs the FOB in 10 seconds, you return the programmer and they refund 30.00 and email you EKA code.
Of course, This will only work if you can get in your vehicle and your key will start the vehicle.
If the new FOB will lock and unlock, then you can remove the door handle and replace the broken pin that goes from the key barrel to the door lock actuator(it is more than likely broken, very common)
I had similar problem, except mine would only lock if I was in the vehicle and hit the lock button on the dash. Since FOB did not function and the Pin I mentioned was broken.
I got the FOB first, then only today, I removed the door handle and found the broken pin. I used a large head phillips screwdriver to check the lock mechanism with the handle off and it locked and unlocked. Now I have to decide whether to buy or fabricate a new pin with a nail, like some members have done.
Good Luck with yours

Old 02-22-2016, 07:25 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

As stated above get the door open and remove the door card and replace the rod that away breaks.
then just dont use the remote anymore here is a pic of the part that breaks or falls off.

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954
The cheapest FOB route is from
Land Rover Discovery II Key Fob Programming Services
Cost you 180.00 up front, they will send you the key and programmer, programs the FOB in 10 seconds, you return the programmer and they refund 30.00 and email you EKA code.
Of course, This will only work if you can get in your vehicle and your key will start the vehicle.
If the new FOB will lock and unlock, then you can remove the door handle and replace the broken pin that goes from the key barrel to the door lock actuator(it is more than likely broken, very common)
I had similar problem, except mine would only lock if I was in the vehicle and hit the lock button on the dash. Since FOB did not function and the Pin I mentioned was broken.
I got the FOB first, then only today, I removed the door handle and found the broken pin. I used a large head phillips screwdriver to check the lock mechanism with the handle off and it locked and unlocked. Now I have to decide whether to buy or fabricate a new pin with a nail, like some members have done.
Good Luck with yours

Attached Thumbnails Superlock - need advice-door-rod.jpg  

Last edited by drowssap; 02-23-2016 at 07:16 AM.