General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Third Party Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 01:22 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third Party Keyless Entry

So you may have gathered I have this ramshacked Disco 2. The current desire is to be able to lock and unlock the doors. The key won't really insert into the core so I thought I'd put off fixing that and skip right to installing a keyless entry. I thought it would be a no brainer with the central lock/unlock rocket switch on the dash.
The system sends out earth/negative. It works great to lock the doors but I can't figure out how to unlock.
I got on a wild goose chase with the 26 pin BCU but when I poked a pin attached to "earth/ground" I only honked the horn. So I gave up before I fried anything.
Does anyone know where I could attach a ground momentary pulse to unlock the system?
Thanks again!

PS I think my driver door actuator needs replaced but I wanted to get one thing working before spending all of the money to fix the whole rover.
It locks.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by PhiloRover
So you may have gathered I have this ramshacked Disco 2. The current desire is to be able to lock and unlock the doors. The key won't really insert into the core so I thought I'd put off fixing that and skip right to installing a keyless entry. I thought it would be a no brainer with the central lock/unlock rocket switch on the dash.
The system sends out earth/negative. It works great to lock the doors but I can't figure out how to unlock.
I got on a wild goose chase with the 26 pin BCU but when I poked a pin attached to "earth/ground" I only honked the horn. So I gave up before I fried anything.
Does anyone know where I could attach a ground momentary pulse to unlock the system?
Thanks again!

PS I think my driver door actuator needs replaced but I wanted to get one thing working before spending all of the money to fix the whole rover.
It locks.
I don't KNOW but the driver door lock seems to be a good place. If you remove the driver door handle it has rod with a star shaped end that turns with the key and both disarms the system and, if turned a second time unlocks all of the doors. It also looks all of the doors. If you put a meter on the wires that go to it, you should be able to lock and unlock all of the doors from there.

You can lock and unlock the doors by just putting a screwdriver on the receiver for that star shaped rod. I've done it. So it is some kid of switch.

Unfortunately the actuator is up in the door so you'd have to drop it to get a meter on it.