General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Throttle Stuck/Acceleration problems while driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 09:51 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Throttle Stuck/Acceleration problems while driving

I have a 2004 Land Rover Discovery II SE w/ 110,000 miles. I was driving it on the highway up a hill the other day and noticed the pedal felt a little weird, almost like it was not accelerating properly. I stepped on the gas all the way and all of a sudden the engine throttle got stuck in the full position, the engine was screaming even though I did not have my foot on the gas, it was also still accelerating up the hill. I put the car in neutral with the engine still screaming and was able to get it off the road to turn the car off. I let the car sit for a couple minutes and then tried to turn it back on but it was still stuck on full throttle. I was able to get it towed home.

After a little bit of research, I figured it might be the Throttle Position Sensor. Upon replacing that with the Bosch replacement part I was able to start it fine. I went for a test drive and all seemed ok at first. But then I went on an open road and stepped on the gas all the way and the same thing happened?? Was able to get it back into neutral and unstuck out of full and get it home without any problems. It only seems to happen when I press the gas pedal all the way to the floor.

PLEASE HELP?