General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

tire advice needed-pls help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire advice needed-pls help!

I have '08 LR2 that will need new tires very soon- OEM tires are Continental CrossContact UHP 235/60/18 107V XL. My dealer tells me that new tires have to be XL (extra load) only, which was confirmed by the local tire shop.
Guy from a local tire shop said they "were told" to put only XL tires on Land Rovers because some owners got problems w/ AWD /4WD after installing "wrong tires".

There are only 3-4 tire choices in that size with XL rating, but a lot more tires in the size not XL-rated.

I wonder if dealer could (and would) blame AWD/suspension problems on "wrong" tires if LR2 develops any problem.
I would stick with OEM size, just want to know if non-XL rated tires can be used considering that the LR is still under warranty.

Thanks a lot.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:14 PM
4wd Low
Default Go with the XL's

Your concern about the tires canceling your warranty is justified and you are right, your just looking at it wrong. As long as you stay with in the specs for the tire size your good, the XL is over rated to the manufacture recommended.

Here is why it is a good thing, Land Rovers have a wide wheel base which makes them harder to roll over, which in turn puts more force on the tires. The XL rating is an increase in strength of the side walls and tire bead, the part which contacts the rim. Normal driving and cornering are no big deal on a tire, it is when you get into high speed (55+), tight corners and emergency driving (hard turning) the XL comes into play. The same safety benefit of having a wide base vehicle and these above situations can put so much force on the bead the bead becomes disconnected from the rim; have you ever seen a tire being replaced they get it on the rim and start forcing air into the tire and the bead connects when you hear the loud bang, a blow out is the reverse of this but forced off. Also better for 4-wheeling and towing they also put extra force on the tires.

Tires are not considered after market unless they are under rated or over/under sized, over rating a tire is a good thing!

Last edited by sheelhorse; 06-21-2009 at 02:03 PM. Reason: bad grammer/spelling, :-) and sooner or later it will be 100%
Old 06-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by sheelhorse
Your concern about the tires canceling your warranty is justified and you are right, your just looking at it wrong. As long as you stay with in the specs for the tire size your good, the XL is over rated to the manufacture recommended...

D

thanks for your help, steelhorse-

I know that XL is probably overkill because my wife's Volvo XC90 came with non-XL rated tires, and XC90 is heavier then LR2.

I wonder what would happen if LR 2 developed any suspension or drive train problems -would the non-XL rated tire create problem with warranty repair?

thanks again

Old 06-21-2009, 08:11 PM
4wd Low
Default tossing the dice in two ways!

Yes they could say the difference between XL and not negates the warranty, if you like a good debate you would have a foot to stand on it makes no difference in any wear just safety!

I have rolled six times, once from a side ways slide on pavement and having both tires blow out on the forward side of the slide, this is the other set of dice your rolling.

Used to be a lunatic and was young grew up in what was a small city years ago (Colo Springs). We had a 3 mile road out in the boon docks we would close at both ends and race down. The whole slide thing the kids are doing now was just part of hitting corners way to fast. Anyways, blew both tires on one side in a turn the rims dug in and it went from the wheels to the roof in a split second, didn't even damage the side it was really funny at the time.

In a high speed emergency when your turning really hard the front tire can blow out; now you have no control, the rim digs into the pavement and any thing could happen (been their done that).

Your wife's car may be heavier but has lower center of gravity even harder to roll over. Even her car in a side ways slide can blow one or both tires and will go over, yours would at a slower speed.

Cool looking tires just are not worth the roll of the dice!

Old 06-21-2009, 08:27 PM
4wd Low
Default oops

I should have mentioned 4 times 4 wheeling and once while driving down a road called high drive in the mountains of CO. while another guy was driving. He drove off the side of a hair pin turn we ended up back on the road below top up, in a Volvo!

Old 06-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by sheelhorse
...Cool looking tires just are not worth the roll of the dice!

thanks for your help-I guess I go w/ OEm tires, just wanted to install maybe Michelins to make LR2 slightly more "comfortable" -the ride is a little "stiff" on XL tires, I thought it would be "softer" on Standard load tire.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:11 PM
4wd Low
Default I agree!

I really enjoy the nice smooth ride of a soft tire, my son runs oversize mud tires, loud and like driving a tank! It is what you give up having a SUV, my D1 is not much better with the stiff ride but not the noise, defiantly not a caddie!

SUV's across the board are known for rolling over, people just can not get it in their heads, high center of gravity = doesn't dirve well side ways. Seach Land Rovers roll over, and it has a wide wheel base! Here is a PBS site which tells you also how to avoid rolling over;

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...tc/before.html

(thought I would just in case you might change your mind!)

All well, they are so much fun to crash around in the hills with; give a little and get a little!