General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

transmission fault - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 11:01 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 questions

#1 at this point given the info is there anything else that it could be or is a rebuild or new tranny required?

#2 how much "should" a rebuilt costs. Any estimates out there. Why is this so expesnive to fix? Is it all labor?

Old 01-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I would imagine it is so expensive because the transmission costs so much, it is a very complicated computer controlled device.
Here is a place that sells them rebuilt.
Range Rover Transmissions - Complete
Removal and installation of a transmission is not that hard, it is mostly nuts and bolts.
I do not know what the book hours on that job is, I'm sure you could Google it and find out.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Winching
Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Those are good prices, but remember that he may have issues at the border (Canada) and will also have to pay shipping and possibly core charge.

Also, the Transmission Control Module is part of the Mechatronics (internal) and will most likely need to be programmed once installed, unless they are just reselling rebuilt ZF units, which come pre-programmed by VIN. If thats the case, buy it directly from ZF: Transmission: ZF Parts Eriksson Industries

Most of the cost is in the parts. The last BMW 6HP I did, the solenoids alone were $800.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

So as someone who is looking to buy a 2007 RR in the future what would one need to look for to help avoid these types of expenses?
Granted you cannot predict or prevent all repairs, but a large one such as a transmission, what would a guy need to look for?
Especially if service records were not available?

Old 01-03-2013, 09:07 PM
Winching
Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
So as someone who is looking to buy a 2007 RR in the future what would one need to look for to help avoid these types of expenses?
Granted you cannot predict or prevent all repairs, but a large one such as a transmission, what would a guy need to look for?
Especially if service records were not available?
Its really no different than purchasing any other car. If you see a vehicle you like, get a Pre Purchase Inspection or buy an extended warranty. Check the fluid level and condition, service if needed and forget about it. The ZF transmission used in these vehicles really are a good unit, its just that parts are expensive and nobody want to fix them. Things like the solenoids do go bad, but I don't think they are any more or less reliable than say, a Chevy Pickup w/ a 4L60E, but since the ZF has twice as many solenoids, your chances of having a solenoid related issue doubles.

Back to the OP, have you driven the vehicle since the last repair shop worked on it? Do you have all 6 gears? Any flare between shifts? How long before going into Failsafe?

Old 01-24-2013, 04:43 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone...here's the update
Took it to Mr. Transmission here (they have 40 stores across Canada) and everything online seem to check out. They confirm the codes and quoted me $800 to take it out and put it back in and a total of $3400 to "re-build" it. I gave them the go ahead. when i wen to go pick it up after almost 8 days in the shop i was shocked when they told me i would need a new computer and quoted me $2900 plus labor. I COMPLETELY FLIPPED OUT. They explained to me that there was no way for them to know this and that they don't cover computer or software. I was pissed off #1 that i can't really afford this #2 the poor communication in that i was never told anything about a computer, nor given an estimate nor shown the sign hanging on the wall that states they don't cover computers. After arguing with them for about a day they decided to try to fix it somehow without replacing the computer which they said they did by installing 3 pressure solenoids V/B plate and a sonnax udate zip kit...i picked up the car paid $4,600 in total with taxes. I picked up my car and about 8 hrs later my transmission light came on again. I called them and took it back right and they told me now its a P0171 code OBD II Code P0171. Fuel System Too Lean (Bank 1) which they claim no resposibilty for. Here;s the summary:
symptoms

Check Engine Light will illuminate
In some cases, no adverse conditions may be noticed by the driver
In other cases, there may be performance problems, such as a lack of power on acceleration and some "coughing" or misfiring
The vehicle may have trouble idling, especially when warm or when sitting at a stoplight
Common Problems That Trigger the P0171 and P0174 Code

PCM software needs to be updated
Vacuum leaks (Intake Manifold Gaskets, vacuum hoses, PCV hoses, etc.)
Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF)
Plugged Fuel Filter or weak Fuel Pump
Plugged or dirty Fuel Injectors

Based on this i have 2 questions

#1 Are these 2 things linked? Did they do something to cause this? I have never had this code before and the day i pick it up i get it?

#2 Did i go ahead and spend $5,000 on a transmission that i didn't need?

I AM SOOOOO FRUSTRATED !!!!

they also took it to a rover place and they cleared all my software and re-boot it with all the updates for free and that did nothing