General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission Won't Engage... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 11:05 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Won't Engage... Help!

Hi All,

So I went to go for a drive today, and I encountered a problem. I turned the vehicle on to let it warm up for 10 - 15 minutes before heading off. At startup, the typical cold belt squeaks were evident, but nothing else. However, when I went to go for a drive, it seemed as though my transmission wouldn't engage. When I went to put it in reverse (to back out of the driveway), usually I can let it idle down the driveway and head on my way. However, the vehicle didn't move. I gave it some gas, and it just revved as if it were in neutral. I went back to park and tried again with no luck. I went through all the gears in both high and low range with the same result. Restarting the vehicle didn't do anything either. There were no faults on the message board, and my parking break was not engaged. Additionally, I put the vehicle in neutral and was able to roll it about a foot or so in either direction, which indicates to me that it's not the selector at fault.

Before I arrange to have it towed to a local tranny shop, is there anything you guys can recommend?

Thanks,

John

Old 01-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Hopefully just needs fluid and new pan gasket.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Mudding

How would a lack of fluid affect the ability to engage gears? Additionally, would I not receive a fault message if the fluid was low?

As well, I would like to check the fluid levels, but I am under the impression that my model (2000 P38) doesn't have a dip stick. As such, how am I to check the fluid level?

Old 01-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Mudding

AAANNDD the problem seems to have resolved itself...

I went out again to go through all the steps one more time and it seems to be working fine now.

However, I will still keep an eye on things. I will take it to a local garage to get the tranny fluid checked (I can't do it myself out in the cold), and I will also check the selector cable. I'm assuming it is in the RAVE manual, but where am I looking to check that nut/clamp for tight/looseness?

Could it be that the oil was just thickened due to the cold?

Old 01-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

If you let this go, it will come back and will cost a lot more if allowed to come back.
Do you know how to check the fluid level, when was it last checked and serviced?

Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
If you let this go, it will come back and will cost a lot more if allowed to come back.
Do you know how to check the fluid level, when was it last checked and serviced?
The fluid was last serviced this summer (late May/early June). My model does not have a dip stick so I do not know how, but I will be taking the vehicle into a Mr. Transmission this weekend to at least get it checked.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Mudding

So I fired up the vehicle again today (it's in the driveway warming up now) and I noticed I could hear a humming/rattling from underneath the vehicle. It was like a big bee was going buck wild in a tin can. It slowly became less and less until it became not noticeable. Is this something that could be from the cold, or could that be something related to my transmission? I have yet to try to put it back in gear (going to wait 10 minutes before I drive it), but I wonder if maybe I am low on tranny fluid and that is the sound of the pump struggling to find it? Or maybe there's something else wrong causing this?

I'm going to call a local transmission shop to book an appointment tomorrow morning and get the tranny fluids sorted out I think.

Edit: Went out after a little warmup and I had the same problem. I'm going to try and drive it (or get it towed) to a transmission shop first thing tomorrow to see if I can get this problem looked at. Something's not right.

Last edited by jmason; 01-25-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You'll also want them to exam your transfer case oil level.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
You'll also want them to exam your transfer case oil level.
I'll have them do that as well thanks. I'm going to let it run again for another 10 minutes to see if it'll warm up a bit more. Regardless though, is there a chance that with low fluid levels I could have done any serious damage? After the problem 'fixed itself' the other day I maybe drove 5 miles tops, and have yet to do any more driving since.

Edit 2: After more warmup, I tried it again. This time, when I engage reverse/drive it doesn't idle backward/forward like normal, but if I give it a bit more gas it intermittently moves in either direction, similar to if somebody was feathering the clutch on their standard. This is really pointing me towards transmission fluid or a clutch related issue. What are everybody's thoughts?

Last edited by jmason; 01-25-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:12 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes the gear changes pretty comfortably, but the car still doesn't get the momentum its supposed to get. This may happen due to a overused clutch or a much bigger transmission problem.

Last edited by ericgarwood128; 01-30-2013 at 10:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission Won't Engage... Help!