General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trigger wire for starter motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 06:15 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trigger wire for starter motor

[edit - solved this. leftmost 5-pin relay on bulkhead in passenger footwell.]

[edit again] - i was foxed by the fact that the trigger wire had not actually pulled out from the back of the trigger relay carrier itself. The trigger relay socket has a grey/red wire coming from terminal 87, through the loom, to a sort of cylindrical connector nearby, also in the passenger footwell. It was from this cylindrical connector that the main trigger wire to the starter, had pulled out from. Snipped the red/grey from the back of it & crimped it back onto the reinstalled trigger wire, all good from thereon.

When fitting my new starter motor I stupidly ignored the fact the trigger wire was a little loose and could really have done with a ty-rap to keep it tucked up out of the way.

Last night whilst dragging a hay bale through some particularly challenging mud, I heard a wrenching slapping noise from the tunnel.

Carried on working until about 5 minutes later, switched off engine & had a brew.

Could not get engine started again. Heard the normal clicking from the trigger relay while turning the key but absolutely no activity from the starter itself.

Friend then found about a metre of thickish red wire lying in the mud, bent into somewhat of a coiled pattern. Female quarter inch spade connector on one end, and the other end neatly stripped back about 4mm just like it had been crimped into a terminal but then pulled out forcibly.

I'm figuring the starter trigger wire found it's way into contact with the propshaft coming out of the gearbox, caught up, and it got wrenched out and thrown across the field.

Where exactly is the trigger relay? I've jacked the vehicle up on stands so I can get underneath to re-crimp the trigger wire into it's correct location, if need be. Thanks for any info.

Last edited by 86v8; 02-21-2018 at 03:44 PM. Reason: solved