General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Very strange, any ideas? Electrical Defender 1996

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 05:52 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Very strange, any ideas? Electrical Defender 1996

My 1996 Defender has developed a host of weird electrical issues most probably all related:

1) most weird of all: when the motor is running and the hazard lights are on, when I turn the key off and even take the key out, the motor keeps running until I turn off the hazard lights. The instant I turn off the hazard lights, the motor stops. When the hazard lights are off, the ignition and motor work normally starting and turning off the motor as desired. Hopefully, this is as informative to someone with experience as it is mysterious to me.

2) when I turn the switch that usually activates the headlights, the related exterior lights and the dashboard lights... nothing happens. No lights. However, if I pull the high beam switch, the high beams on the headlights work. There was a time when everything would work normally almost all the time, the switch only sometimes not activating the headlights, etc. But now the switch does not activate anything. The only way I can drive at night is to hold the lights in high beam.

3) sometimes, when I turn on the windshield wipers, they will not turn off. They keep working even though I have moved the switch to the off position. This does not always happen. Right now, they are working normally.

My goal is to create a checklist for the mechanic before I take it to a garage. I am in Bosnia and the mechanics tend to not have much if any experience with Land Rovers.

All ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.