General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What is the best year for a Land Rover

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010 | 06:02 PM
|
Mudding
Default What is the best year for a Land Rover

I presently have a 72 Toyota Landcruiser for my mountain playing, but I'm really looking at a Rover. I want a Rover so if we are driving two hours away to a remote mountain spot I can have something that I can drive on a freeway (top speed in the cruiser is 60mph) When I read about Rovers some have head gasket issues, others wiring issues, what is the best year to get? I'm kindof thinking older because they seem to be more simple but what do you experts say?
The Rover would not be driven much just on bad snow days (I live in Utah) and those long distant mountain adventures.
Thanks,

Old 11-14-2010 | 12:57 PM
Mudding

Anyone that runs with a maintenance history. No really....

Old 11-14-2010 | 05:58 PM
Baja

Have you thought about an overdrive for your Toyota?

Old 11-14-2010 | 08:33 PM
Team Owner

Any DI.

Old 11-15-2010 | 04:22 PM
|
Mudding
Default What about a 89 range rover with low miles

What would ya'll think of a 1989 range rover with approx 65K miles on it? What would I need to look out for?
Thanks,

Old 11-15-2010 | 04:39 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Draayer
I presently have a 72 Toyota Landcruiser for my mountain playing, but I'm really looking at a Rover. I want a Rover so if we are driving two hours away to a remote mountain spot I can have something that I can drive on a freeway (top speed in the cruiser is 60mph) When I read about Rovers some have head gasket issues, others wiring issues, what is the best year to get? I'm kindof thinking older because they seem to be more simple but what do you experts say?
The Rover would not be driven much just on bad snow days (I live in Utah) and those long distant mountain adventures.
Thanks,
You posted before asking about this but you never answered my questions in that thread??? What gives? Did you get a '72 FJ40 or FJ55?

Low miles is a bonus most of the time for ANY vehicle, but as others mentioned if you find one with a novel of service records or an owner that is meticulous with his/her own maintenance, you'll be glad you did. If that '89 has a link post it up so we can see what you're looking at.

....Then post some pictures of your Yota

Old 11-15-2010 | 05:16 PM
|
Mudding
Default Fj40

Sorry, I have a 72 FJ40, I just went through it all (repaired the rust, painted, rebuilt everything that needed it) and it does very well for playing in the hills but as mentioned, they aren't ment for the hwy. Someone asked about an overdrive and that would help but between, road noise, motor noise etc, even if I have a few more gears it would not be a fun ride down the freeway. I'll try to attach a photo of the cruiser.
I have a call in to the owner of the Rover, I'll see how it goes if he calls back.
Thanks,

Attached Thumbnails What is the best year for a Land Rover-cruiser-side.jpg  
Old 11-15-2010 | 05:25 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Draayer
Sorry, I have a 72 FJ40, I just went through it all (repaired the rust, painted, rebuilt everything that needed it) and it does very well for playing in the hills but as mentioned, they aren't ment for the hwy. Someone asked about an overdrive and that would help but between, road noise, motor noise etc, even if I have a few more gears it would not be a fun ride down the freeway. I'll try to attach a photo of the cruiser.
I have a call in to the owner of the Rover, I'll see how it goes if he calls back.
Thanks,
Nice! Green is def my favorite color for the 40's. Is that the stock color?

I agree, they are NO fun on the highway. I've got a '74 and even with the 4-spd 65 mph is as much as I want to push it Here's mine...

Old 11-15-2010 | 09:52 PM
|
Mudding
Default Color

That is a stock color but not my FJs color. Mine came in an off white, that color is Nebula Green.

Old 11-20-2010 | 11:57 AM
|
Mudding
Default How about a 1991 Range Rover

So the latest Rover I'm looking into is a 1991 Range Rover the owner said he has put a lot of maintainance into but that it needs a new rear end. I've asked for more detail but am wondering is that a weakness in these? What would that take to put a new rear end in? Is it better to rebuild/fix the rear end or replace it?
Thanks

Quick Reply: What is the best year for a Land Rover