General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What do I ask the mechanic about my 02 Freelander?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 04:01 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I ask the mechanic about my 02 Freelander?

I'm a non-techie with a 2002 Freelander SE. It has been fairly reliable, but twice in a row it has blown a seal (camshaft oil seal) due to high pressure and drained itself of oil. My local independent mechanic in Albuquerque, after the second occurrence(within 10 miles of leaving his shop from the first repair) researched it. The receptionist looked at his notes when I called and told me they said that I have two problems, 1) that "something has frozen in the vent tubes that vent the crank case causing excessive pressure" and 2) that I have "excessive blow-by".

His research found that the 2002 Freelander engine has a known defect related to all this, but Land Rover does not have a solution. His recommendation was to drive it immediately to a car lot and sell it before it occurred a third time, which could occur at any time.

I'd be tempted to take it to the dealer (which unluckily I've not had the best of luck with) for a second opinion but I've hesitant to drive it or shell out money for tows if it turns out this is a real concenr and I need to dump this.

I'm going down to talk to the mechanic myself. Not being a mechanic type, what techinical questions should I ask, so I might be able to give better info to someone here that you might be able to confirm his "known problem with the 02 Freelander with no known fix" or decide that he just isn't up to speed on fixing smaller rovers.

Thanks All!

Old 02-09-2010, 06:14 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

frozen vent tubes don't cause that problem. it has be in temperatures way below zero. Use to see it all the time. plus if it blew out within ten miles chances are you have pressure building from something else. Its possible its the rings going bad.

Oh and we had a setup for the new pcv hoses to replace them and prevent the issue. If your mechanic had access to GTR he would know the problem and the solution.