General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

WHINING/VIBRATION COMING FROM UNDERNEATH DISCO - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:17 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHINING/VIBRATION COMING FROM UNDERNEATH DISCO - HELP!

I HAVE AN '03 DISCO II SE7, 90K.I am experiencing a humming/vibration noise that happens when I am ata stopand the car is in drive. Tonight I tried to pinpoint the noise because it doesn't happen all of the time but I have realized that it only happens in DRIVE so when I got into my driveway tonight the noise happened and I threw on the e-brake, left it in drive and began to inspect. The noise is 100% coming from underneath the car near the center. At first I thought it might be coming from a pulley/bet/pump at the front of the car but once I got down on my knees and started crawling around I was led to the center of the rover. I put the car in Park and the noise stops. I have already been to my Rover guy and he couldn't duplicate the noise. He checked all of my fluids, inspected my u-joints, etc (FLUIDS HAVE ALL BEEN CHANGED WITHIN THE LAST 8 MOS). I AM FREAKING OUT BECAUSE EVERYTHING UNDER THERE IS SOOO EXPENSIVE! Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated! Disco Mike are you out there!?

Old 10-31-2008, 10:45 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: WHINING/VIBRATION COMING FROM UNDERNEATH DISCO - HELP!

One possibility might be a cracked flex plate, a little coomo alsocheck your motor mounts, especially the drivers side, may be broken.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:06 PM
Drifting

Alright, checked the mounts (had em checked at JC's when I was there last week too because that was my first thought) and the mountsareall OK. Is the Flex Plate something that I can visually inspect or not? I'm thinking that you're probably right since everything else checks out - if that's the issue what I am I looking to spend????I saw that the plate itself is about $45, but that darn labor???Thanks, you're always a big help.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Overlanding

Flex Plates are easy!!
Thats the Good News.
Use a couple wrenches of whatever size and move the vehicle as needed to spin the driveshaft for access to the bolts.

Slide or pry with something big like a screwdriver crowbar etc to get the two apart if necessary and reverse removal for installation.
If you have any questions shoot me an email at mikes.motor.werks@gmail.com

Old 11-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Drifting

YEEEHAWW, that's music to my ears! I'm spending money on my disco like it's growing on trees! WHEW!