Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Need help with "clunking" noise underneath car

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 10:12 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with "clunking" noise underneath car

There is this "clunking" noise whenever the steering wheel is almost at full lock position(doesn't matter left or right) and the car is moving, right after the noise if I keep the steering position, I can feel a slight vibration from the drivetrain. Took it to the dealer and they said its the viscous coupler that needs to be replaced. I replaced the whole driveshaft including the viscous coupler using refurbished part and the problem still exist. So that's not the problem. Does anyone know what it is? Any info is appreciated. By the way it is a 2003 Freelander.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Need help with "clunking" noise underneath car

yeah, your viscous wont cause that issue, as you found out. honestly, it could be alot of things, assuming that the vibration is related, i would be looking at front drive shafts, but definitly check your ball joints and tie rod ends first

[/align]

Old 09-19-2008, 07:41 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah I have an 02 Freelander and have replaced the drive shaft and coupler. I feel the clunking when I turn sharply and accelerate, like when I come out of a parking lot. I just get used to it.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Drifting

Roverguy7 probably hit the nail on the head. Sounds like ball joints if you have to turn almost to lock for the sound to occur. Check your CV joints as well as they can cause both 'clunks' and vibration if they wear the wrong way. If it does it only when driving on uneven surfaces (gravel roads etc.) check your drop links as well. Just replaced mine which solved my rattles when turning corners. If the 'clunk' and vibration are separate problems, you may also want to check your hub bearings as when they first start to wear you often will only hear them when turning. Hope this helps you out.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't see if you said if it was coming from the front or rear, but I have experienced that issue a couple times in the recent months and found that it seems to be the rear differential mount bushings have torn apart. If you haven't checked these yet, then I suggest
that you should. Just a thought.

-Kyle