General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Wiring Hella 500's onto Discovery II 2002

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 08:37 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Hella 500's onto Discovery II 2002

I am mounting three Hellas on my cargo rack. I have completed all wiring and the lights do not work. I replaced the relay to no avail. Could it be that I am wiring three lights to one relay, instead of only two? I have checked and rechecked connections and all seems spot on. Any one with some troubleshooting tips?

Old 04-04-2006, 05:59 PM
Drifting
Default RE: Wiring Hella 500's onto Discovery II 2002

Sounds to me like you have a bad earth , i favour connection directly to the battery along with a suitable in line fuse.You dont say how you are activating the lamps ,like if they are picking up the feed from high beam or just on a seperate switch,need some more info so get back to me as soon as you can ,hope i can help Paul in the uk .

Old 04-05-2006, 12:36 AM
5th Gear

4x4guy

I am wiring the power supply to the battery directly. Grounding the lights to within the engine compartment. I could be trying to wire too many lights to one relay. The lights are tapped into the highbeam wiring. The power source is wired directly to the battery with a inline fuse. There could be a number of problems, I think, guage of wire, length of wire? I am not sure. My first set of hellas I mounted on my brush guard were not a problem and lite on the first test. All I am doing, in essence, is copying the same layout but on my rack.
Hmm.

What else could I try?

Thanks

Chris

Old 04-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Drifting

Chris first thing to do is to check for voltage at the relay from the battery, next check your earth path as the earth is usualy more important than the feed of 12 volts.If you have voltage to the relay check your switching side ,you say you are picking up the high beam , flick the high beam on and check for 12 volts to the relay.While we are on the subject does the relay click if you test it ?.It may sound like a stupid suggestion but i would check each lamp in turn by connecting to the battery live and earth,just to see if your lamps are ok,also have had some spot lights with the cables in but no bulbs ,check for that too.Putting three lamps to one relay should not make a graet deal of difference as long as all of the lamps are live to the same side ,as you can short them out if they are wired up differently .THree lamps would require a 20 amp fuse to stop the relay overheating ,also your earth to the engine bay does it have a coat of paint to it ,if so clean it off to bare metal, or better still go back to battery earth this will stop corrosion to the earthing points.Let me know how you get on Paul.

Old 04-08-2006, 12:57 AM
5th Gear

More frustration from Texas. I have wired two of the three hellas together on one relay as is customary. However, they do not light. I have checked the power leaving relay and it is okay. However when I check the power going from the relay to the lights there seems to be no power coming through. Here is what I have done. Lights are set up to come on with high beams. I have two splices on one high beam wire (is this okay?). I have switched the relays out with same result, nada. Does the length of wire going from relay to lights/ground play a role in not working. Is there such a thing as too long of wire? All the wire is 14g. The only thing I have not tried is to switch out one of the hellas and place it in a working light. Finally, I plan on wiring the third hella by itself through a different relay, by itself. Could have too may lights grounded to one ground location? I am very frustrated and could use guidance over here.

Thanks in advance guy[8D][:-]!

Old 04-08-2006, 06:44 PM
Drifting

Hi Sqwanto try doin this ,first wire up your relay with just a live from the battery,next take the earth side of the relay to the earth side of the battery.Next thing put your switch side ,like high beam to the relay,put it to high beam and listen for a click from the relay,if it clicks the relay is ok,finally use a test light to see if power comes out of the relay,if so you must have a problem with the lamps themselves.I have used very long cables on a 130 landrover down to an old 88 inch series three with very short cables and had no problems.You must test each lamp one at a time to see if they work,take them to your battery for a quick test.If you follow these easy steps you will soon find the fault ,let me know how you get on, Paul