General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Won't pass edmissions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 05:36 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't pass edmissions

Hello,

I just bought a 2000 Discovery for $4,0000. I have been searching and finally found a nice one that I thought was a good deal. I have brought it home and hooked up to a CarMd device and it is saying that the check engine light is on and it will not pass edmissions. There is no check engine light on, when we saw the vehicale and turned it on all lights came on. Should we take it back or could this be an easy fix? I really like the car but I don't want to be robbed.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:44 AM
4wd Low

Don't take it back because a CarMD device says it won't pass emmissions. If it runs well and isn't smoking, you'll probably pass. If you're that worried, do a tune up. http://unitwan.co.nr/rover.htm

Old 01-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I dissagree, go to a local parts store and have the codes read, you most likely have some pending codes stored. Let us know what the fault codes numbers are and also see if your check engine light is even working when the key is in the 2nd. position.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:02 PM
2nd Gear
Default Found more problems

Thanks for your response.

I had it checked and the problems are below:

The horn is broken (the buttons are lose and it will not beep)
The break seal on top rear is leaking
Airbag problem (SAS light is on)
Belt is squeaking

Is it worth investing to get these things fixed or should I try to get my money back? What am I looking at cost wise to get these things fixed? I love the car and am willing to invest in it but I don't want to put more in it than I paid. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:34 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You are buying a 11 year old vehicle, what do you expect, they don't stay like factory new for ever, if you want it go get things fixed and expect more as it gets older.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:30 AM
5th Gear

Start by monitoring the exhaust system between the block and the O2 sensor. plugs, son and other parts of the perfect song to help. But if air leaks into or out of the exhaust system of the engine is too rich. If the temperature sensor, ECM does not work, can also be a rich mixture. PCV valve has nothing to do with it.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:34 AM
Three Wheeling

All that .....oh call it ....less than $200 you could probably get new plugs and wires and change the oil for that price too.... if you buy parts and do it yourself...at a shop probably at least $800 and count on needing more
all that sounds very easy to fix.....should always tune-up a vehicle when you get it.....when its a deal particularly..... airbag could just be a loose connector ....mine comes on when i move my seat sometimes...

you might find this interesting....http://en.allexperts.com/q/Land-Rover-Repair-1470/Land-Rover-Discovery-2000.htm

sounds easy enough....but i was thinking maybe your airbag was removed.....and the buttons were never fixed ...... or the loose pieces from your horn are causing the fault with the airbag ..... anyway do make sure you know how to reset your alarm/radio codes if you tackle the above project or try to inspect .....

all that said a LR can be expensive if you are not mechanical or willing to become so...ANY car can be for that matter.....but you would want to go to LR or other expensive mechanics who work on them often....or you may start to have a lot of problems....where i live there is no pride in workmanship at all as far as i tell....overall lack of gumption that permeates the work force....I do not take my car to anyone unless I stumped....or have more time than money.....and then i inspect all work to make sure .....I have never been aBLE TO PICK UP ANY vEHICLE the first time I've gone to "pick-up" my vehicle......treat it like your baby , dont let anyone touch it unless you have to and then get references .....get the rave....and free yourself from needing someone who is thinking about something else while working on your baby!

Last edited by Timebus; 01-30-2011 at 01:37 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:46 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

When the contacts inside the seatbelt buckles get dirty they set off the SRS light.
The horn buttons fall off all the time.
Do not be surprised when the horn on your DII starts going off at 3am because it got cold out.
Squealing belt is simple cheap fix.
All of these are a simple cheap fix.