Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

exhaust/headers disco

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 06:57 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Nice looking, except your engine compartment is all turn around compared to ours, takes a minute to get adjusted.

The following users liked this post:
Dirtymr2fast (01-16-2020)
Old 10-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 10-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

As far as I know, the heads on a 4.0 are essentially the same as a 3.9 so the exhaust ports will line up with the headers. The real question is will they clear the frame and all of the other pieces in your engine bay. Also, you will need to think of where to relocate the cats to. They are pretty well tucked up by the bellhousing now but will need to be dropped down lower with the headers.

I'm also not so sure just how much benefit you will ultimately see from these. As manifolds go, the ones on a D2 look to be pretty good. They have individual runners cast for each cylinder and dual outlets. Given the relatively low flow the exhaust sees with these mild engines they are probably up to the task.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Mudding

Great. Thanks for clearing up the bolt up fitment issue. Glad to know it will line up.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:10 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few questions about headers. I did read the thread but seems like nobody ever came back to post again.

So I was wondering if the Hedman Hedders 39800 are worth buying? I read it is for a 3.9 and I have a 4.0, will the bolt holes and exhaust ports match up?

I understand that my truck is not meant to be turned into a race truck so I just want the awesome noise.

Does anyone know of any muffler brand that sounds better on this?

Thanks.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:30 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by LRchick
I have a few questions about headers. I did read the thread but seems like nobody ever came back to post again.

So I was wondering if the Hedman Hedders 39800 are worth buying? I read it is for a 3.9 and I have a 4.0, will the bolt holes and exhaust ports match up?

I understand that my truck is not meant to be turned into a race truck so I just want the awesome noise.

Does anyone know of any muffler brand that sounds better on this?

Thanks.
No difference between the 3.9 and 4.0.
I have the Hedman Hedders on my '98. Custom SS exhaust with hi-flow MagnaFlow cats and a Borla muffler. It sounds pretty good, very throaty. It is considereably louder than the stock exhaust though. Its not terrible, I just turn the stereo up a bit. Everyone's noise threshhold is different though, so what may be tolerable for me may be unacceptable for another.
I would start by cutting off the resonator at the very rear of the truck, if you haven't already. This will give your truck a deeper sound by itself.
This video is the best example of how my exhaust sounds when getting on it a little bit.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:23 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by fishEH
No difference between the 3.9 and 4.0.
I have the Hedman Hedders on my '98. Custom SS exhaust with hi-flow MagnaFlow cats and a Borla muffler. It sounds pretty good, very throaty. It is considereably louder than the stock exhaust though. Its not terrible, I just turn the stereo up a bit. Everyone's noise threshhold is different though, so what may be tolerable for me may be unacceptable for another.
I would start by cutting off the resonator at the very rear of the truck, if you haven't already. This will give your truck a deeper sound by itself.
This video is the best example of how my exhaust sounds when getting on it a little bit.
Land Rover Upper Peninsula Creek Crossing - YouTube
You are freaking awesome fishEH!!! Thank you for the help I really appreciate it. I know instead of getting different gifts from people next week on my birthday I am getting them all together to pitch in for my awesome gift!!! I do love the way it sounds and I know I will not have a problem with it.

My truck might not be a race truck but its sure is going to sound bad a** and I can look at all those little wanna be race cars and tell them at least my truck has a purpose it takes me places your car cant go!!

Old 04-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking at these Hedman headers, looks like a good way to go. I have no plans to reinstall cats though. I'll have to crawl underneath tonite and look but I'm assuming I'm gonna need to cut the cats out and then create some type of connection from the header to the exhaust piping....correct?

Cheers.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:36 PM
Mudding

Fish, can these go on a D2 as well? If so Summit is only 45 mins away and Im getn me some!!!!

Old 05-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Three Wheeling

This thread seems to go back always, but so does my disco... Anyone with knowledge please check out this link http://www.summitracing.com/parts/he...ake/land-rover and tell me if this will work for 4.0 as well as the fact it says it bolts into existing exhaust. Not sure if that's true or not. Anyone want to dive back into this topic and clear some things up would be nice

Quick Reply: exhaust/headers disco