LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

2008 LR2 Battery dead now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 12:18 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 LR2 Battery dead now won't start

Not sure how but our LR2 in a nice warm garage had a dead battery in the morning. I am sure something was left on or open. Anyway we hooked up jumper cables and everything came back on, inserted the key and pressed the button and nothing.

What we are seeing is the radio and other items light up when the cables are connected, we press the start button and it is like I turned on the car, I get lights on the dash but now started and an error message about HDC fault system unavailable. If I press the start button again, the head lights go off as well as some of the dash indicators for a bout 2 seconds and then I see the HDC message again.

This vehicle was running just fine before the dead battery so I am guessing it is related to this event.

At this point I have charged the battery over night and tried this all again. I am suspicious of the battery because it doesn't seem to get much above 12.3v and on a steady trick charge it should get closer to 13v.

I have also read in other posts that this issue could be related to low voltage in the system.

I went shopping for a battery yesterday and with all the cold weather I couldn't find one and will have to look hard today. The local LR shop is booked for the next 10 days so I am hoping there are some thoughts on getting this running before then.

To me this seems like something is messed up in the computer(s) and needs to be reset. Can anyone provide some guidance.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:08 PM
3rd Gear

Just installed a new battery same symptoms so that is not the issue.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Well, it is, and it isn't.

When this vehicle drains the battery down, and then attempts to turn on, it can fall into Crash Mode, due to different modules not communicating properly. This does not occur when just disconnecting the battery, but when there is say 7V available.

Once Crash Status is set in the Central Junction Box, it needs to be reset with LR diagnostic equipment, but it also will store a fault in the PCM, which can be cleared with a generic scanner. Sometimes, Crash Status will reset itself in the CJB once proper power is restored, and just clearing faults with a scanner will allow it to start again, but usually not.

There is a software update for the CJB that will keep this from happening in the future, so if going to the dealer for a reset, make sure to have this done as well.

The following 2 users liked this post by roverguy7:
Joelbrissette (04-06-2020), ThorInc (04-08-2020)
Old 12-02-2013, 10:25 PM
3rd Gear

I was beginning to suspect something like this, I guess it is a tow truck and wait for the LR shop to have an opening.

I hate when I can't handle these things myself.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:26 PM
Winching
Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Our battery gave out yesterday, but the car wasn't at home so I had to replace it away from my shop...and my 12V power supply.

I used a 9V battery adapter (w/ new battery) plugged into the console rear accessory socket. After installing the battery, everything was dead but it turned out that one of the positive wires was loose (my system was modified for a trailer brake controller, adding extra power wires). Once all the wires were on tight, it fired right up. Not sure if that was due to the aforementioned CJB software update (which I assume got installed at some point) or the 9V battery.

Last edited by merlinj79; 03-11-2016 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Found Problem
Old 04-06-2020, 06:57 AM
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever figure this out? I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. Thank you.

The following users liked this post:
Bowen002 (08-17-2021)
Old 04-07-2020, 06:32 PM
Winching
Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Joelbrissette
Disconnect the battery for at least ten minutes, longer might be better.

Install a fully charged battery, either new or charge the old one if it's still good, then connect the terminals.

If it doesn't start, use a scan-tool to read and clear any codes. Try again.

If it still doesn't start it might be the starter itself, but either way probably needs to get towed at that point.

The following users liked this post:
Joelbrissette (04-08-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 05:37 AM
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a mechanic friend use his computer scan reader. Turns out the LR2 was in crash mode. He cleared the code and it started right up. Thank you for replying!

Old 08-17-2021, 10:40 PM
1st Gear
Default Did you take the air box out?

Originally Posted by Joelbrissette
did you remove the air box by chance? If you did. Put the air box back in to its spot before trying to start vehicle. I had a radiator hose leak. So I parked the car until I decided to actually fix the issue. But when I went to start the car to find which hose it was leaking from. It was completely dead. So I went and got a new battery because after trouble shooting the issue it was a bad battery that wouldn’t hold a charge.but while removing things to get a better view of the radiator hoses I removed the air filter and box. Left the map sensor plugged in just unhooked the box and set it to the side with everything plugged into it. So after putting the battery back in I tried to start the vehicle. It started but immediately bogged out. Started it up like twenty times. Checked the fuel rail it was getting gas. Checked all the fuses. Everything was fine. But it wouldn’t start. So finally I tried just connecting the air box back together and I swear it started right up and stayed running after I put the air box back into place. So if that helps anyone that was my experience why my 2009 lr2 wouldn’t start after I pulled the battery and removed the air box.

Old 01-04-2022, 10:53 AM
1st Gear
Default Lr2

Originally Posted by scottahend
Not sure how but our LR2 in a nice warm garage had a dead battery in the morning. I am sure something was left on or open. Anyway we hooked up jumper cables and everything came back on, inserted the key and pressed the button and nothing.

What we are seeing is the radio and other items light up when the cables are connected, we press the start button and it is like I turned on the car, I get lights on the dash but now started and an error message about HDC fault system unavailable. If I press the start button again, the head lights go off as well as some of the dash indicators for a bout 2 seconds and then I see the HDC message again.

This vehicle was running just fine before the dead battery so I am guessing it is related to this event.

At this point I have charged the battery over night and tried this all again. I am suspicious of the battery because it doesn't seem to get much above 12.3v and on a steady trick charge it should get closer to 13v.

I have also read in other posts that this issue could be related to low voltage in the system.

I went shopping for a battery yesterday and with all the cold weather I couldn't find one and will have to look hard today. The local LR shop is booked for the next 10 days so I am hoping there are some thoughts on getting this running before then.

To me this seems like something is messed up in the computer(s) and needs to be reset. Can anyone provide some guidance.
If your battery dies on an LR2 most of the time you just need to reset the comp. Use a code reader and erase codes and it will start.