LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

2013 lr2 rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 12:40 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 lr2 rear brakes

Hello all.
I've got a 2013 lr2 that needs rear pads at 35k miles. The parking brake solenoid seems to prevent the caliper piston from being pushed back to accept new pads. I'm scared to put too much pressure on this with the c clamp as its plastic. Has anyone run into this problem yet?i searched the forum but haven't been able to find anything.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:50 AM
7th Gear

Mine's a 2008 and the rear pistons went back with no problems. My year has a traditional cable operated hand brake. Does your year have the same, or an electric switch operated version?

Old 03-15-2015, 09:57 AM
6th Gear

Mine has an electrically actuated parking brake and I think the solenoid(plastic) is mounted to the back of the caliper so I can't put the c clamp against it. I haven't figured out how to push the piston back in yet!

Old 03-15-2015, 10:59 AM
Winching
Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Even on the 2008, if you follow the shop manual you're supposed to do some adjustment of the parking brake when changing the rear pads.

Better register on TOPIX and pay for one-day access to the shop manual.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:46 AM
6th Gear

How do I do that? I can't find topix in the forum???? If a shop manual is available that is probably my best option.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:41 PM
6th Gear

Well, it turns out the parking brake on this car is electronically actuated and is present on both rear calipers. To release it, I unplugged it from the vehicle, then energized the solenoid to release. I had positive hooked up backward the first time so it just set the parking brake. Reversing my leads took the pressure off and I was able to push the piston back in about 1/4 inch. I energized the solenoid again and got another 1/4 inch or so intill the piston was back far enough to accept the new pads. It seems when you trigger the parking brake to set it builds up x pressure then stops so no adjustment seems to be necessary. Now that I understand this system I actually prefer it to the old style. The service brake pads also act as the parking brake pads so one set is eliminated and they are always adjusted. Hopefully this helps the next guy that needs to replace his brakes!

Old 03-15-2015, 04:21 PM
Winching

TOPIX is the land rover document system. It allows you to buy temporary subscriptions to the shop manual. Some jobs you need it, some jobs you don't.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:35 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by merlinj79
TOPIX is the land rover document system. It allows you to buy temporary subscriptions to the shop manual. Some jobs you need it, some jobs you don't.
Do you have a link to access this? I'm sure this will come in handy down the road!

Old 03-16-2015, 10:17 AM
Winching
Old 04-16-2017, 10:12 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by The FNG
Mine has an electrically actuated parking brake and I think the solenoid(plastic) is mounted to the back of the caliper so I can't put the c clamp against it. I haven't figured out how to push the piston back in yet!

Dear all, I retractec mine by just removing the electric plug and put inside two insulated alligator clips over the male pin and with a small 12v battery I rewinded back the motor. Be carefull to put the correct polarity, test by tapping the negative on the battery and check visually if the piston move out, if it does reverse polarity. Before you rewind put a C clamp (the one you can squeeze manually by pressing the handle) as you apply power squeeze the piston back, as soon as the piston is all the way back remove power. I suggest you not to clip the alligator on the battery, but just hold it with you finger over the negative the reason is because once the motor is all the way back you can quickly remove power.
I did mine yesterday and it work perfect.
I hope it was helpfull.

Quick Reply: 2013 lr2 rear brakes