LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 06:15 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery drain

I have a 2009 LR LR2 with 83,000 miles. I'm very happy with the truck but while I was away (3 days) I came home to a very dead battery. All accessories were off, nothing in auto mode with the security on. I had to use the manual method to get in, pop the hood and charge the battery. After an hour the truck started and everything is back to normal. As a daily driver all is good but that is not always the case. Any ideas on a source of the drain? I don't have navigation but it is set up for blue tooth, no codes showing up either. Software issue? HELP!
Thanks Bob

Old 10-28-2014, 06:54 PM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

Following is an excerpt from a TSB that might apply to you. The solution requires software configuration by a Land Rover dealer.

Electrical - Battery Low/Dead For No Apparent Reason

TSB No: LTB00391 (ISSUE 1)
14 JULY 2011
SECTION: 415
FLAT BATTERY
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
LR2 (LF) w/Navigation only VIN: 8H000212 - Onwards
Model Year: 2008 – Onwards

CONDITION SUMMARY:

Situation:
The vehicle's battery may be flat, for no apparent reason, after the vehicle is parked overnight or similar period of non-use. This may be caused by the Infotainment Control Module not shutting down correctly if the following conditions occurred at the time of ignition OFF and exiting the vehicle:

1. Customer viewing the Navigation system map; and
2. Customer engaged in an active Bluetooth(R) telephone call.

If both of these conditions are encountered, a quiescent draw of approximately 1.5 amps on the battery may be induced, leading to the flat battery situation.

Action:
In the event of a customer concern of the above and after ensuring proper electrical system checks have been carried out as referenced in the Land Rover Battery Care Manual, refer to the Repair Procedure outlined below to update the Infotainment Control Module software.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:44 AM
Overlanding

Thanks for the information! I don't have navigation but I do use the blue tooth although I haven't been on the phone and turned the car off mid conversation as described above. An infotainment software update does sound like the trick.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:26 AM
Overlanding
Default All good for now

I took the LR2 into the local Land Rover dealer for things to get checked out. All systems are operating as designed with a new Land Rover battery. The battery that I had bought 6 months ago couldn't cut it. Sounds too simple, I've never had a battery go bad in 6 months..........anything is possible!?! All good for now. I have a trip coming up next month.............hope it starts!

Old 12-24-2014, 02:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the fifth time I have come home to a dead LR2. I have changed batteries. I have asked the dealer to upload the software changes recommended in this topic discussion by LR2driver. I unpaired my cell phone. Any other suggestions? Bosalls5, how is you car working? Thnx!

Old 01-09-2015, 06:48 AM
Overlanding

Sorry to hear about your frustration. For me all has been good, no issues. Lately we have had some extreme cold weather and there have been no issues starting. I had a 4 day layover a few weeks ago and the car started with out issue.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:22 AM
Three Wheeling

Starts fine as long as we run it every day. I may swap out the battery again.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:15 PM
1st Gear

So I had a very similar issue today. Fit perfectly with the cause. Brought it in and it looked like the software update had already been done. They ate charging the battery and I guess I just wont use Bluetooth anymore.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:27 PM
3rd Gear

Hmm... I haven't run my LR2 in about 4 days and now I go to take it to work and my battery is dead!!!!! I just got the battery last year. I'm hoping it is a software upgrade.
Does the dealer charge for a software upgrade for something like this?

Old 04-21-2015, 06:46 AM
Three Wheeling

Ever since I unpaired my phone with the bluetooth we have not had a problem with the phantom battery drain. LR dealer thinks it may be something about the phone but I'm having trouble wrapping my logic around that.

Quick Reply: Battery drain