LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

A/C not cooling, engine overheating

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 07:09 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine had the same issue. A/C only worked when driving and got warm at a standstill. I ran direct power to the fan motor bypassing the module and it did not work so I ordered a new fan assembly. Problem solved.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:22 PM
1st Gear
Default How did you finally fix?

Originally Posted by LaGirl
Anybody have a prob with A/C not cooling and engine acting up and overheating? Just started a couple of days ago. '08 lr2
. I have been having the same problem. How did you finally fix? Thanks

Old 08-08-2014, 02:17 PM
4th Gear

If you check and find it's not the fan assembly and the module that's an easy replacement but if it's the fan assembly it's about a 4 hour job minimum. I did it by myself and it took 5 hours with removal of intake manifold and all and I still couldn't get the da. Assembly out so I just replaced the fan and motor. I do have an extra module for sale if that's what's wrong with yours

Old 05-01-2015, 01:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by lilcc
If you check and find it's not the fan assembly and the module that's an easy replacement but if it's the fan assembly it's about a 4 hour job minimum. I did it by myself and it took 5 hours with removal of intake manifold and all and I still couldn't get the da. Assembly out so I just replaced the fan and motor. I do have an extra module for sale if that's what's wrong with yours

Hi Lilcc, do you still have an extra cooling fan module? I think that's what is wrong with mine (08 lr2) and would like to purchase it if available.

thanks- Justin

Old 10-22-2015, 07:31 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation LR2 radiator fan starting problem

Hi
I have an LR2 2009, my problem is the the cooling fan does not work if the engine get too hot, which means the cooling fan is working properly in moderate conditions but if drive in traffic jam or when I am going up hill for a long time the fan starts by cooling but then it will not start, and the engine temperature can go up and the red light ON.
What is interesting is if I restart the engine (or stop the engine an put the ignition in standby) some kid of reset is done and the fan will start again, but once stopped it will not start unless I repeat the procedure or let the car cool down for 20 minutes with open hood.
I have the same problem of AC not working at idle motor speed, both problems starts almost together.
Please advise.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:52 AM
4th Gear
Default Cooling issue

The reason it works when not at a standstill is because motor is getting cooled when moving. I'd check the fan by directly connecting power to the motor. If it turns on its the module. If it does not turn on it is the fan motor iyself

Old 07-24-2017, 07:08 AM
1st Gear
Default Same problem - LR2 radiator fan starting problem

Originally Posted by Ihab
Hi
I have an LR2 2009, my problem is the the cooling fan does not work if the engine get too hot, which means the cooling fan is working properly in moderate conditions but if drive in traffic jam or when I am going up hill for a long time the fan starts by cooling but then it will not start, and the engine temperature can go up and the red light ON.
What is interesting is if I restart the engine (or stop the engine an put the ignition in standby) some kid of reset is done and the fan will start again, but once stopped it will not start unless I repeat the procedure or let the car cool down for 20 minutes with open hood.
I have the same problem of AC not working at idle motor speed, both problems starts almost together.
Please advise.
I have the same problem. please advise me how did u fix it? i parts need to be change? Still my mechanic trying to find it?

Please reply me. my email : nibbraz@gmail.com

Thanks.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:57 AM
Winching
Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael M. Koch
There's only one serpentine belt. It's around $50 at Advance and can be replaced in the parking lot in under 15 minutes. Also be sure to check your electric fan, as previously mentioned. With the A/C on, hold a plastic grocery bag in front of the truck. It should get sucked up to the grill.
On a 08 LR2, it will take you more like five hours if you've never done it. This assumes you have a FULL set of tools. The manual isn't crystal clear on a few things, and many of the bolts are real hard to get to.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default please help me

ok guys here is issue. if i drive with AC on i overheat sometimes if i shut ac when it does the engine will
cool off to normal and i can drive. AC is ice cold except sometimes if not moving I stress sometimes this is not happening every trip but enough. i noticed the cooling fan not being on but if i tap if goes on or eventually seems like it goes on. so i changed the fan control module same exact problem. I also hear sound when fan runs like a bearing is going.

should i change the fan itself or is there something else to test or try ?

thank you

Old 07-24-2019, 06:11 PM
Winching
Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicholas Impellizzeri
ok guys here is issue. if i drive with AC on i overheat sometimes if i shut ac when it does the engine will
cool off to normal and i can drive. AC is ice cold except sometimes if not moving I stress sometimes this is not happening every trip but enough. i noticed the cooling fan not being on but if i tap if goes on or eventually seems like it goes on. so i changed the fan control module same exact problem. I also hear sound when fan runs like a bearing is going.

should i change the fan itself or is there something else to test or try ?

thank you

Same thing here. Shop replaced the fan control module last week and they thought it was fixed. But it started acting up on a road trip so I'm guessing the problem is actually the fan and it's intermittent. You could try replacing the module, cheaper and easier than the fan. Shop's going to do my fan when I get back home.

If you're driving it, get a scan gauge and monitor water temp while sitting at lights or stop and go in traffic. On the highway it hangs out around 193 F. When stationary, it starts to heat up quickly, I would not let it get above 130 F, just turn it off if needed. I've been turning it off at long red lights and avoiding traffic.

The gauge in the vehicle is more of an idiot light. Once it warms up and gets to the middle it will not go above that until it gets VERY hot (mine never did). If the gauge rises above the middle, I'd shut off immediately. If you let the warning light go off you've probably stressed motor parts (like the head gasket) and will pay for that later on. That's why you want a scan gauge if driving it. When the AC stops blowing cold air the coolant temp is already headed rapidly towards 230 F +.

Quick Reply: A/C not cooling, engine overheating