LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Coolant pressure tester for 3.2 I6

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 04:10 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Coolant pressure tester for 3.2 I6

I am fishing for a coolant leak , i got a universal coolant pressure test kit from a friend but non of the expansion tank caps would fit , anyone has a link for a pressure test kit that fits our expansion tank ?

Old 12-14-2022, 07:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 553 Likes on 462 Posts

Save your money and use a dye test. It will give you an instant visual indication of the leak. Same way you test the a/c system for leaks.

The following users liked this post:
Hamza89 (12-14-2022)
Old 12-14-2022, 07:58 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by flybd5
Save your money and use a dye test. It will give you an instant visual indication of the leak. Same way you test the a/c system for leaks.
Sounds reasonable.

Old 12-15-2022, 10:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 320 Likes on 250 Posts

More information is needed.

Which of the following is true

1. You can see coolant drip on the ground with a hot engine and the protective shield under the engine removed

2. You don't see any leak/dripping but you are adding coolant regularly (How often? How much added?)

3. The Dash is telling you coolant low. (This is a known problem with the float in the reservoir, it stops working correctly and it will intermittently show coolant low)

Let us know 1, 2, or 3

Good luck

Paul

Old 12-15-2022, 11:32 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by p_gill
More information is needed.

Which of the following is true

1. You can see coolant drip on the ground with a hot engine and the protective shield under the engine removed

2. You don't see any leak/dripping but you are adding coolant regularly (How often? How much added?)

3. The Dash is telling you coolant low. (This is a known problem with the float in the reservoir, it stops working correctly and it will intermittently show coolant low)

Let us know 1, 2, or 3

Good luck

Paul
Hi Paul ,
Actually the issue escalated , its not just a leak its an overheating issue , the fans are not coming on time , I found one fan out of the 2 rotating , the other one is dead .
sometimes the coolant temp reaches 105 C without any action from the fans even though the ECM is requesting the fans as the scan tool shows .
even when I switch on the AC they are not coming on .
There is only one fan working and intermittently.
Its causing the coolant to over pressurise and escape from multiple places mainly from the expansion cap .
im gonna test the fans fuses and relays , bypass the fan control module to make sure fans motors are okay .
And ill presure test the system coz i have multiple coolat stains near the thermostat and on the radiator.
its gonna be a big job .
let me start by troubleshooting the fans first and ill keep you posted .
thanks alot for your usual support and thanks to all .

Old 12-15-2022, 05:35 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Hamza89
Hi Paul ,
Actually the issue escalated , its not just a leak its an overheating issue , the fans are not coming on time , I found one fan out of the 2 rotating , the other one is dead .
sometimes the coolant temp reaches 105 C without any action from the fans even though the ECM is requesting the fans as the scan tool shows .
even when I switch on the AC they are not coming on .
There is only one fan working and intermittently.
Its causing the coolant to over pressurise and escape from multiple places mainly from the expansion cap .
im gonna test the fans fuses and relays , bypass the fan control module to make sure fans motors are okay .
And ill presure test the system coz i have multiple coolat stains near the thermostat and on the radiator.
its gonna be a big job .
let me start by troubleshooting the fans first and ill keep you posted .
thanks alot for your usual support and thanks to all .
Sounds like the fan controller, the box to which the fans connect, either failed or has a bad connection.

Old 12-15-2022, 07:13 PM
Three Wheeling

Sounds like the fan controller, the box to which the fans connect, either failed or has a bad connection.
Yeah im thinking the same .

Old 12-15-2022, 08:00 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Hamza89
Yeah im thinking the same .
If the fan control module has failed you might get a P145xxx DTC error code, either P145C68 or D68, but you need a reader that can talk to the module.

Old 12-15-2022, 08:07 PM
Three Wheeling

If the fan control module has failed you might get a P145xxx DTC error code, either P145C68 or D68, but you need a reader that can talk to the module.
I have no codes , however my reader ICAR SOFT can talk to the ECU not the fan module ,I saw the ECU giving fan requests many times when the coolant temperature was around 105C with no action from the fans .
if I bypass the module and the fans motors were ok , its should be the fan module or the connections. Iguess .

Old 12-15-2022, 08:11 PM
Winching
Received 167 Likes on 125 Posts

I just checked pricing on the fan control module and was surprised how expensive they are compared to buying an entire fan assembly that comes with the module.

Quick Reply: Coolant pressure tester for 3.2 I6