LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Engine surges

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 04:24 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine surges

Replace things, now engine surges when idling, missing when accelerating, any ideas

Old 11-01-2020, 04:28 PM
Drifting
Default Engine surges

Ok, now I am stumped. I went and drove it up and down the street. It cleared up and is running fine now. What’s up with that?

Old 11-01-2020, 06:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Sounds like a vacuum leak cleared up.........did you reinstall the transmission breather?

Old 11-01-2020, 07:23 PM
Drifting

Yes, I did. Also, I had cleaned the MAF sensor and failed to connect it. Although once I did, it was still surging until I drove it a couple hundred yards down the road.

The transmission has been stalling or slipping lately too. It is totally random, although I have noticed it starts after it is warm. You will be driving,” usually upon accelerating from a stop light or entering the interstate, but it’s like it jumps into neutral, RPMS reve up and then it will catch the gear. i have got where I can catch it and immediately let of the gas and it catches the gear. What do you think, sensor or CVT transmission messing up.

Old 11-01-2020, 07:52 PM
Rock Crawling

Before I jump the shark, I would change the transmission fluid (a few times). And, yes, the MAF discoed, would absolutely cause engine surges. Check out a site called freel2.com and search for transmission fluid change.

Last edited by ThorInc; 11-01-2020 at 07:56 PM. Reason: fixed the external site name
Old 11-01-2020, 07:53 PM
Drifting

Ok, thanks.

Old 11-01-2020, 07:56 PM
Rock Crawling

Sorry, it's freel2.com

Old 11-02-2020, 12:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 519 Likes on 439 Posts

I was under the impression the transmission fluid in this vehicle is not "changed' like in other vehicles and is a fairly complicated operation.

<pause>

Well, that's not correct. But you do have to lift the car and remove the underside cover to get to the drain and level plugs.

Automatic Transmission/Transaxle - Transmission Fluid Drain and Refill I6 3.2L Petrol
General Procedures
WARNING: Observe due care when draining, as the fluid can be very hot.
1. Ensure that the automatic transmission is in 'P' and the handbrake is fully applied.
2. Remove the air cleaner housing. Refer to: Air Cleaner
3. Clean the area around the transmission fluid filler plug.
4. Remove the transmission fluid filler plug.
5. WARNING: Do not work on or under a vehicle supported only by a jack. Always support the vehicle on safety stands.
• NOTE: Make sure that the vehicle is standing on a level surface. Raise and support the vehicle.
6. Remove the front undershield.
7. Clean the area around the transmission fluid level and drain plugs.
8. Place a container under the transmission.
9. NOTE: The fluid level plug and drain plug both use the same point on the transmission. The inner plug is for level indication and the outer plug is to drain the fluid. Remove the transmission fluid level plug.
10. Remove the transmission fluid drain plug.
11. NOTE: Install a new gasket. Install the transmission fluid drain plug. Torque: 47 Nm
12. Lower the vehicle.
13. Fill the transmission with the correct fluid until it runs from the level plug.
14. Install the transmission fluid level plug. Torque: 7 Nm
15. Add an additional 0.5 litres of transmission fluid.
16. CAUTION: A new O-ring seal is to be installed. Install the transmission fluid filler plug.Torque: 40 Nm
17. Install the air cleaner housing.
18. Connect the Land Rover approved diagnostic equipment. Start and run the engine.
19. Using the diagnostic equipment to monitor the transmission fluid temperature, allow the temperature to reach 60 degrees C.
20. Move the selector lever from 'P' through all the gear positions, pausing in each gear position for 2-3 seconds and return to the 'P' position.
21. Raise the vehicle.
22. WARNING: Wear protective gloves. Remove the transmission fluid level plug.
23. With the engine running a small amount of fluid should drip out of the level plug.
24. CAUTION: A new O-ring seal is to be installed. Install the transmission fluid level plug. Torque: 7 Nm
25. Install the front undershield.

Last edited by flybd5; 11-02-2020 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:47 PM
Rock Crawling

Your understanding is correct per the LR dealer/service. However, the same transmission, Aisin 6 speed is also in many similar year Volvos (the is6 engine is made by Volvo) and their dealers recommend transmission fluid changes. I change mine as do many LR2 owners despite what LR dealers recommend. Toyota sells the required fluid as well. The process is complicated as there is a level plug that sets the required fluid level at a specific temp range.

Old 11-02-2020, 12:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 519 Likes on 439 Posts

Well, ok, but it is not what dealers recommend, it is what the service manual recommends. It clearly states that the transmission fluid is filled for life.

Quick Reply: Engine surges