LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Floating side to side on icy roads

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 09:03 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floating side to side on icy roads

When I’m travelling on icy roads, the LR2 often feels like I’m being bounced around sideways. Almost like I’m driving in ruts and the wheels are being pushed to the low point. I’m convinced it’s not the tires as I’ve installed new winters and I noticed it on the old studded winters as well. Could the traction system possibly be malfunctioning and causing the loss of lateral stability? Any other thoughts?

Old 01-04-2022, 09:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

if I had to guess, it likely has something to do with the road being ICED OVER. Ice and rubber (even studded) are like oil and vinegar. What is your driving speed when you notice this sensation?

Old 01-04-2022, 09:22 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by stillruns
if I had to guess, it likely has something to do with the road being ICED OVER. Ice and rubber (even studded) are like oil and vinegar. What is your driving speed when you notice this sensation?
Lol I’m afraid that’s likely not it. I’ve lived in northern Canada for decades so am well accustomed to winter driving and I regularly drive multiple cars and a truck (the LR2 is my wife’s) and this is the only vehicle I encounter this on. I’m sad to say the LR2 is the worst performing of all our vehicles when it comes to driving on winter roads. In answer to your question, today my wife noticed the effect while travelling anywhere between 50kph and 100kph on the highway. I have wondered if it has something to do with the width of the wheelbase but it occurred to me the LR2 may be sophisticated enough that it is trying to compensate for loss of traction and creating the sense of lateral movement. I do not notice it when driving on roads covered in just snow.

Old 01-05-2022, 07:29 AM
guy
Winching
Received 94 Likes on 83 Posts

Interesting. I have not experienced this situation in my vehicle, ever.
Getting the obvious out of the way; how’s the alignment? How’s the suspension bushings? Are the tires ‘directional’ and installed properly? Are you running in All wheel drive or front wheel drive?

The following users liked this post:
flybd5 (01-05-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 07:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I've had similar experiences on iced roads (usually north/south) which I also never experienced in a full 4WD SUV (no haldex) that preceded my 2008 LR2, even with winter tires. It's a slow lateral slide (almost a slight pull), just an inch or three, I suspect it's the haldex programming kicking in or cross wind? Now, if there is snow or ice, I usually put it into snow mode 100% of the time. Directional tires, alignment spot on.

Last edited by ThorInc; 01-05-2022 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:29 AM
Winching
Received 263 Likes on 200 Posts

My LR2 does not do that. Check the suspensions stuff, although if it was that bad you should feel it on dry pavement or see it in tire wear.

Also might just be the tires... some tires just act weird in some conditions.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:51 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ThorInc
I've had similar experiences on iced roads (usually north/south) which I also never experienced in a full 4WD SUV (no haldex) that preceded my 2008 LR2, even with winter tires. It's a slow lateral slide (almost a slight pull), just an inch or three, I suspect it's the haldex programming kicking in or cross wind? Now, if there is snow or ice, I usually put it into snow mode 100% of the time. Directional tires, alignment spot on.
thanks for the reply. I’ll follow up on this with the shop and have them look at the Haldex and alignment etc. We’ve noticed it even in snow mode.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:53 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by merlinj79
My LR2 does not do that. Check the suspensions stuff, although if it was that bad you should feel it on dry pavement or see it in tire wear.

Also might just be the tires... some tires just act weird in some conditions.
Thank you for the response. I’ve tried to rule out tires by installing new and the issue hasn’t gone away. Seems to operate just fine on dry and snow covered roads.

Old 01-05-2022, 02:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 519 Likes on 439 Posts

Could just be a hangover from the holidays...

The following users liked this post:
guy (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 12:06 PM
guy
Winching
Received 94 Likes on 83 Posts

The Haldex traction system manages the front-rear drivetrain torque split, sending most torque to the front wheels. Of course the Terrain Response System manages the DSC, traction control and Hill descent. Surely there would be codes thrown (and an engine light on) if this system were confused...

Quick Reply: Floating side to side on icy roads