LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Has anyone replaced the fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2023 | 10:41 AM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Has anyone replaced the fuel pump?

I did a cursory search on this and it appears that you have to drop the exhaust, driveshaft, and gas tank to replace the fuel pump/ fuel filter. Isn't it easier to just cut the floor hole bigger to replace it out of the top of the tank like people do with the P38 Rover? Ford Focus's are like that too. It's much easier just to cut the hole bigger under the seat to replace the pump than to drop everything underneath..

Old 01-16-2023 | 01:51 PM
Winching

Yeah, that's the only way unless you drop the tank....if you are going to customize the access hole, make sure you full drain the tank, etc., you don't need any fire hazards.

Old 01-20-2023 | 07:27 PM
Drifting

I performed this repair a few months ago on my 08 LR2. It was a success and a relief.

Old 01-23-2023 | 04:55 PM
Rock Crawling

I replaced my fuel pump a few years ago. I didn't find the work to drop the tank too difficult - just time consuming. Took me the better part of a Saturday, as I recall.

Old 10-30-2023 | 03:15 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Hi all, To bring up an older thread: my LR2 finally puked in my driveway today. I'm pretty sure the fuel pump is done because it's turning over and not starting. So has anyone cut the interior floor hole bigger to replace the fuel pump out of the top of the gas tank? I don't have the facilities or the money to have it replaced from under the car. I could either replace it myself from the top for $150, or would have to pay a shop to replace it from the bottom for $1500. What does anyone think?

Old 10-30-2023 | 03:34 PM
Winching

Are you certain you are able to re and re from the top without cutting the small access panel larger?

Old 10-30-2023 | 03:58 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by tom999w
Hi all, To bring up an older thread: my LR2 finally puked in my driveway today. I'm pretty sure the fuel pump is done because it's turning over and not starting. So has anyone cut the interior floor hole bigger to replace the fuel pump out of the top of the gas tank? I don't have the facilities or the money to have it replaced from under the car. I could either replace it myself from the top for $150, or would have to pay a shop to replace it from the bottom for $1500. What does anyone think?
Why do you think it's the fuel pump? Just turning over and not starting is hardly an indicator the fuel pump has failed.

Old 10-30-2023 | 04:22 PM
|
Three Wheeling

The existing access hole in the floor looks like only for the electrical plug and gas/vent line connections. There's no way to replace the pump from the top unless I cut the floor hole about two times bigger, to be able to cut out the styrofoam and then hammer the retaining ring off. Then the pump should come out nicely. I don't know why they didn't make the hole bigger at the factory, it seems to be 90% easier to replace it from above instead of dropping the exhaust, drive shaft, e brake cables and gas tank..

Old 10-30-2023 | 04:25 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by flybd5
Why do you think it's the fuel pump? Just turning over and not starting is hardly an indicator the fuel pump has failed.
Well it's not getting gas. It just turns over and will run for a second then stall out. I took the fuel pump access plate off in the floor and can see it's the original pump and has never been replaced. The car is 15 years old and has 120k miles on it, so I'm wagering the fuel pump is the problem.

Old 10-30-2023 | 05:28 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by tom999w
Well it's not getting gas. It just turns over and will run for a second then stall out. I took the fuel pump access plate off in the floor and can see it's the original pump and has never been replaced. The car is 15 years old and has 120k miles on it, so I'm wagering the fuel pump is the problem.
My LR2 has 190k+ miles, the fuel pump has not been replaced and it runs fine. Guessing or "wagering" is not the way to troubleshoot this (or any other) problem. You might wind up replacing the pump and still have the problem. To verify lack of fuel pressure you connect a diagnostic tool like the Autel MaxiAP200 and tell it to monitor the fuel pressure. If there is none, then and only then do you have an indication the fuel pump has given up the ghost, but even then, what about the fuel pump fuse? Does the fuel tank suck in air when you take of the fueling cap? This could also be a problem with one or more ignition coils or one of any number of other possibilities.

Do a proper troubleshooting, save yourself a needless wild goose chase and unnecessary work and costs. If the code reader reports codes, post them here. If you don't have a good code reader take it to your local auto parts store. They generally scan the vehicle for free.

The following users liked this post:
guy (10-30-2023)

Quick Reply: Has anyone replaced the fuel pump?