LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

LR2 Alternator HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 03:23 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LR2 Alternator HELP

I'mtrying to find out any info on changing the alternator out on my daughter's2011 LR2. She carried it to the dealer and they told her it would be 1625.00 toreplace. I'm pretty good under the hood of a car but what little info I havefound on the net the job sounds like a big one involving special tools andintake removal. Any advice will be appreciated.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:43 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any luck with this!? Working on the same project.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:21 PM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

If you search on eBay for "land rover lr2 repair manual" you will see a manual for about $15 USD that you can download electronically right after your purchase. I don't know if it contains instructions for replacing the alternator, but these manuals usually provide directions and illustrations for these types of repairs. Please let us know how it turns out.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:59 PM
7th Gear

I found instructions on Free Online Workshop Repair Manuals the hard part is removal of the intake manifold. I have it all removed currently and plan on putting everything back together this weekend. I will let everyone know if it runs afterwards.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:09 PM
7th Gear
Default reply

Originally Posted by umwolverine
Any luck with this!? Working on the same project.
see my post.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:02 AM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Puddin
I found instructions on Free Online Workshop Repair Manuals the hard part is removal of the intake manifold. I have it all removed currently and plan on putting everything back together this weekend. I will let everyone know if it runs afterwards.
On occasion we'll get the benefit of having a Land Rover technician post to this forum and sometimes we'll hear that certain tasks are even a challenge for them. And that's with all the manuals and equipment and help they have at the dealership. So I admire that you were brave enough to attempt this yourself.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

This is not a fun job, the overall design of the intake system makes it a bit of a pain to remove the manifold.

There are two separate alternator issues that this engine suffers from. The first, which I haven't seen in a while, was due to the coolant vent hose leaking, and dripping coolant directly into the alternator, causing it to fail.

The second is becoming more common. There is a one-way clutch built into the alternator drive flange. This is there so that when the engine is stopped, the alternator can spin down without coming to an abrupt stop. When this clutch fails, it will do one of two things, go completely open and not allow the alternator to spin, or more often go locked, and cause the rotating mass of the alternator to try to continue to turn the flange drive, and cause the bolt that secures the drive flange to the READ to loosen, causing the entire drive flange and rubber coupling to not spin.

When replacing, always install a new one-way clutch, and if the drive flange bolt that turns the rubber coupler is loose, replace it and apply thread locker to it.

The following 2 users liked this post by roverguy7:
crackofnoon (11-21-2018), Puddin (03-08-2015)
Old 03-08-2015, 01:01 PM
7th Gear
Default Progress

Got the new alternator on and all parts cleaned up ready for reassembly. The new intake manifold gaskets should arrive tomorrow so I can finish this project up.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:31 PM
7th Gear
Default Completion

Got the intake manifold gaskets in today and got everything reassembled. If your doing this job make sure once your compete add coolant. I didn't and got a low coolant fault but all is well now. Summary this is not the easiest of jobs but cost less than 300.00 and dealer wanted 1625.00.

The following users liked this post:
TXFireblade (03-10-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 11:27 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you run through the steps and any tips? I'm sure others on the forums will need to do this eventually and your experience would certainly help.

Quick Reply: LR2 Alternator HELP