LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

LR2 has trouble going uphill when cold - Youtube video link included

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 06:22 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LR2 has trouble going uphill when cold - Youtube video link included

Greetings! Hello I am the proud owner of a 2008 LR2 SE that I acquired in Jan 2017 (at that time it had about 71k miles, it now has about 74k). I am worried my fairy tail has became a nightmare.

My rover now seems to have trouble going up inclines when the engine is first started and has not had time to warm up to full operating temperature. When going up these same inclines after the car has fully warmed up it does so pretty much effortlessly. ( I am driving it only after fully warming up until I get it fixed I made this one exception for the video)

Here is a video of the struggling (though after watching it, I realize it isn't that informative):

( I am driving it only after fully warming up until I get it fixed I made this one exception for the video)

I really like the car, but am worried I may have bought a piece of junk, sadly the car was in the shop after only about 2.5 months due to a coolant leek where the dealer replaced the coolant hose to the oil cooler and the thermostat (which cost me about $1200), now it seems its having trouble again. (I bought it from a Audi Dealer they were asking 12.5k for it I paid like 9.2K)

Any idea what is wrong?

A few other questions if I may:
1) I don't see any Trans fluid leaking or on the ground where I have parked, so I have no reason to think it is low, but I was thinking maybe since it works fine after heated up that I should get the trans fluid changed? Thoughts? Do I need to go to the dealer or can I go to just any shop that does trans fluid change/flushes? I was thinking maybe a course of action would be go to shop have them check the fluid/level if low simply fill up to correct level (to see how long it takes to get low again), if it was full then have them do a fluid change or flush.
2) Is it safe to go to just any old oil change place to get your oil changed, I've seen mixed stories. There is a place that I have been going to with my old car but the whole cartridge filter thing has me kinda scared.

Any other maintenance tips a tricks for the LR2 that you can share?

Sorry for going on and on the main thing I'm looking for is recommendations about what is wrong with my car and what I should do about it.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:21 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's hard to tell from your video if the problem is that the engine is bogging down or if the transmission isn't responding correctly. You asked about the transmission fluid so I'm thinking you suspect the transmission rather than the engine? I'm wondering if it's just the fuel/air mixture when the engine is cold is not correct? It may be a sensor that is failing. Just speculating here.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 307 Likes on 243 Posts

James

I agree with SoCalLR2

Can you put the transmission in sport mode and do it again? Then select first gear.

It almost looks like your in third gear.

If that's the case then you need to check the transmission fluid.

Good luck

Paul

Old 06-18-2017, 07:09 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul (p_gill) and SoCalLR2,
Thank you for taking the time to respond, when I put it in sport mode and pull out in 1st it still has trouble but it seems to overcome it much easier (probably because its in first as opposed to second or 3ed and revving much higher then it shifts by itsself). I was thinking low/thick fluid, could be the culprit (like just barely low enough that once its warmed up and flowing its no problem), trouble is working on cars is forbidden anywhere I have access to so I can't check it ) so I have to take it to a shop but want to have some idea what they are going to tell me/don't want to pay big $s for a easy diagnostic (but it doesn't seem that easy so I've taken it to a shop - ( British 4x4 - Springfield, VA ) so I can build a relationship with an independent shop so I'm not stuck with crazy dealer parts/labor for this /other problems). I just dropped it off tonight and will let you guys know what ended up being the problem when I get it back (assuming its working properly and they figure it out - there aren't any MILs on)