LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

LR2 not starting / weak starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 06:48 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tuercas viejas
I can chime in with a few pointers.

Yes the update prescribed needs to be confirmed if its applicable to your vehicle and my suggestion would be to call the LR Dealer in Denver 303 347 1500 for Vin applicable details/flash.

Yes this platform is prone to numerous parasitic draws and like many newer vehicles tracing the draw can be a challenge even for skilled mechanics. If your guy is old school, the old technique was to pull fuses or disconnect circuits to check for the "leakage ".

Today's modern can bus systems don't like that and disturbing a circuit won't make the module its connected to go to sleep. So it keeps drawing excess power. These days you use an amp clamp and DVOM like a Fluke to trace it down.
Folk like you up in the upper tier don't have much LR dealer choice.
Its Denver, Seattle, Salt Lake, or Calgary choose your poison!
Amistades
T/V
Thank so much for this info. If my mechanic was messing with fuses, that may be why my sunroof is suddenly no longer working. I will call Denver or Seattle to figure this out. I am a little closer to Seattle than Denver. I know there is a dealer in Spokane, but I had a bad experience there, and so did my mechanic, so I am trying to steer clear of them. Also, since this problem started, I have unpaired my iPhone from the LR2, and since then, I seem to be getting much stronger starts. (but it could also be that my mechanic charged up my battery) I will keep everyone posted, and gonna check my fuses now.

Thanks for this information. Very helpful.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes when it comes to dealers & parts most LR owners are SOL up there in the northern tier if something fails.
I have regularly scudded up 1/25 and along I/90, destination Sandpoint Idaho in my D2.

I like to have a journey break in Butte and on this particular run the oil cooler pipe blew off the cooler. Having recently replaced the pair of cooler hoses I jury rigged it back in place leaving a pool of oil on the road at Fairmont.

Looking in my dealer directory the nearest dealers were miles away as I have listed. A few quick phone calls going west and Denver South store was the only place with stock. So an overnight delivery got it to my destination before I showed up in Sandpoint.

Yes, dealers can be like a Forrest Gump's box of chocolates but Denver seems to do fairly well and I employ an ex LR Tech from their now defunct Aurora store.
When I was a zone rep for a big international truck /bus maker I would often say the dealer is only as good as the folk that work within it!
In fact only last week I put the service manager's nose out of joint at the Kenworth dealer in Overland Park Kansas on a warranty problem!

As for adding accessories sometimes you have to be very careful these days on how you proceed. Phones and remote starts are the worst. We fix MB & Dodge Sprinters in my business & these can present some of the most difficult fault eradication tasks when they go belly up or emit erroneous signals.

Yes let us know how you get on.
Best regards to you up there in one of my most favourite parts of the USA. I often say you meet real Americans in Wy Mt, & ID--but then I am biased my missus a Gringa is from Northern Idaho.
Saludos
T/V

Old 06-09-2014, 10:24 AM
Mudding

Thanks so much for all that info, and kind words about my home. I will definitely give the Denver dealer a call on your recommendation, and at least get an idea of what I might need. I will keep everyone here up to date on my progress.

As far as updates go, I did look into my fuses last night and it does appear that my sunroof fuse must have been a little loose, as I reseated it, and my sunroof sprung back to life. So it does appear my mechanic had done it the old school way, and checked all the fuses.

Onward! To continue to solve this problem.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:54 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR2 2008 Battery Drained

I have a LR2 2008, since 1.5 years now.
The problem I have since probably 2 months ago is the battery drained and not enough power to start the motor, last 2 times the battery drained almost 100% and were not possible open the door with remote, I had to use hidden key in remote to be able to recharge the battery... when this happen, the problem disappear for maybe 2 weeks before have same issue, I went to AUTOZONE and said battery,alternator and starter are good and maybe the problem is a solenoid..I thought the problem coming after use cell phone charging and has happening only thru the night but this last time was at noon time.
I'm in South California and temperatures are not extreme yet.
Somebody knows how to solve this? I don't want go to the Dealer if the solution is reasonable easy.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:00 AM
4wd Low
Thumbs up

hi from Italy,

here in Europe we experience that problem, and sometimes worse (HDC goes on, funny warning messages, radio does not function properly).
We solved this and other problems by fitting an earth strap directly to the starter motor from the battery.
try this - with a jumper lead from the - battery terminal to the engine, and see if it solves your problems.
if so.. fit an extra earth cable !
worth a try.. i did not believe it until i tried and it solved my problem !

Old 06-30-2014, 03:00 PM
Mudding

LATEST UPDATE...

It has been a few weeks now, and I have fixed the sunroof issue I was having earlier. It was just a loose fuse from when the mechanic was testing the electrical system.

I have unpaired my iPhone from the LR2, and since doing that, I have had no starting issues at all. I am not 100% sure this is a solution, as I have not let the car sit for more than a day without driving it, but before it was getting run down in as little as 12 hours. So if anyone out there is having weak starts, or intermittent non-starting, and you have your phone paired with the LR2 using Bluetooth, then try un-pairing it and see if it solves your problem. It worked for me. (so far)

I am now assuming a software update will fix this problem, but I have not yet looked into this, but will be planning a trip soon, and one of the goals of that trip will be to get the software update. Once I do, I will report back.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was having this problem with my 2010 LR2 back in the late wintertime. It was diagnosed as a blue tooth issue and it appeared to have been corrected. I went away for 10 days in late June and came back to the airport parking lot and the car started just fine. But yesterday we came back from an 8 day trip and the car was completely dead. We had to use the manual key to get into the vehicle. Could this be a reoccurring issue with the blue tooth or am I looking at another problem here?

Old 08-19-2014, 10:40 PM
Mudding

I think there are two issues. I definitely think that the BLuetooth issue is true. I am 99% sure that my 2009 LR2 had the same problem. The battery would drain if not driven basically daily. I unpaired my phone from the car, and the problem disappeared. I found out there is a software update that your dealer can apply, that should fix this problem. I just had mine updated. I have not yet paired my phone back up, but I will report back when I do.

I also have a friend that is a Land Rover mechanic, and he has mentioned to me that these newer Land Rovers have so many electronics that run constantly, even when turned off. He said this will drain the battery on the car in a week or so if not driven. I left for Mexico for 5 days, and mine was dead when I returned. However this was also before I unpaired the phone, so bluetooth was running, and i hadn't applied the software update yet. I am hoping that the update will make it last a little longer when not driven, but from my understanding, 10 days would still be pushing it.

I will pair my phone back up and report on my findings.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:22 PM
1st Gear

I have had the same issue with my 2010 LR2. The car could not sit for more than 2 days without dying. I took it to the dealer & had them apply the software update, it dramatically decreased the power draw on the battery so that was good news. I was hoping this would fix the problem but after return from a 8 day trip that does not seem to be the case. Battery was completely dead. Before I left for the trip I unpaired my iPhone just incase thinking that would help but that does not seem to be the case. Now trying to figure out what the next step is besides having to either disconnect the battery before leaving on trips or getting a trickle charger.

Old 03-20-2021, 10:08 PM
3rd Gear
Default Fix for this issue

I had this same issue I replaced the starter and no change I put a volt meter on the starter and realized just about 2 volts getting to the starter I looked at the battery cable close and there is a fuse on the top positive cable that is just behind where the cable connects to the battery connector I jumped started by connecting here and it started right up. I ended up just making a permanent jump over the cable fuse and have not had any more issues.

Quick Reply: LR2 not starting / weak starting