LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

LR2 turbo replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 08:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Monkey - no changes as far as I know but I've not had to put another one in since the last episode at 42k miles - now at 70k miles. There are some super-cheap options out there but due to the hassle that could be caused by a poor quality unit I'd only go with the Borg-Warner (thats OEM) and the cost is about $1k. Good luck.

Old 09-10-2022, 10:23 PM
guy
Winching
Received 92 Likes on 82 Posts

the engine is just a ford ecoboost 2.0. Ford has decent pricing for parts. One common issue is a crack in the turbo unit, easily corrected by a simple welding job.There are many good sources of information available on this engine.

Old 09-11-2022, 06:31 AM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Updated turbo/exhaust?

Originally Posted by Monkey with a wrench
Anyone know if the new replacement turbo/ exhaust manifold has been updated?? Looking at a 2013 LR2 w/ 145,000M for my daughter. This vehicle has the P0299 code, so I'm assuming the turbo is junk. Haven't looked at it yet. Just figured I'd ask before going to look at it.
I'm a heavy equipment mechanic so yanking the old one out and stuffing a new turbo/ exhaust manifold in is within my capability.
I know this an old thread, just figured I'd ask. Thank you!!
Hi Monkey, the only update needed was a stronger and better weld on the exhaust manifold. I gotta assume the original units all had a bad weld as the replacement units all seem to be holding up just fine. You’ll know if that is the problem as you will smell exhaust fumes inside the cabin with the heat on. But a P0299 code could also appear from an exhaust leak anywhere along the exhaust system or from a bank 2 defective O2 sensor. You need to take the turbo heat shield off. If the backside is black from exhaust that confirms the weld is leaking. 2 options both involve taking the turbo out (4 hour difficult job for a geed mechanic); replace it with a new OEM unit, or fix the weld on the old one if you think it is working fine. Suggest you Do not but an aftermarket unit on eBay as they maybe an inferior product. There are LR factory parts wholesalers on line where you can get a good price on OEM. My research found that the Ford unit is a different design for placement on the motor.

The following users liked this post:
flyingscot (09-13-2022)
Old 09-11-2022, 08:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thank you for all of the quick responses!!!

Originally Posted by Car-guy28
Hi Monkey, the only update needed was a stronger and better weld on the exhaust manifold. I gotta assume the original units all had a bad weld as the replacement units all seem to be holding up just fine. You’ll know if that is the problem as you will smell exhaust fumes inside the cabin with the heat on. But a P0299 code could also appear from an exhaust leak anywhere along the exhaust system or from a bank 2 defective O2 sensor. You need to take the turbo heat shield off. If the backside is black from exhaust that confirms the weld is leaking. 2 options both involve taking the turbo out (4 hour difficult job for a geed mechanic); replace it with a new OEM unit, or fix the weld on the old one if you think it is working fine. Suggest you Do not but an aftermarket unit on eBay as they maybe an inferior product. There are LR factory parts wholesalers on line where you can get a good price on OEM. My research found that the Ford unit is a different design for placement on the motor.
Thank you to everyone for the quick responses!!! I always inquire when I need to replace a major component on a piece of heavy equipment about whether the part has been updated. CAT usually changes the part number if there is an updated part or a change in manufacturer. Komatsu keeps the same part numbers and it can be hard getting the info on any changes, if at all; on their parts.
Fun fact............I own a 97 LR Discovery. Sadly, the rust has eaten away at the machine and it sits in an unused state. My daughter had wanted to bring that back to life. Too much rust, not enough time.
I ran a search for the part number for the turbo/ exhaust manifold. One result was from Ebay. Geniune Borg Warner OEM part..............$1400...........expedited shipping from China!! LOL I've dealt with a few owners who want to save money and get the parts themselves only to end up with cheap chinese knock offs that fail shortly after the arduous process of install.

Last edited by Monkey with a wrench; 09-11-2022 at 08:19 AM.
flyingscot (09-13-2022)
Old 09-12-2022, 05:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 519 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Monkey with a wrench
CAT usually changes the part number if there is an updated part or a change in manufacturer. Komatsu keeps the same part numbers and it can be hard getting the info on any changes, if at all; on their parts.
DeWalt, the tool company, also has this idiotic practice. Their DW9116 charger was introduced as an NiCD charger. Then they updated it to be able to charge NiCD as well as NiMH battery packs...and kept the old part number. The only way to tell the difference is to look at the label. If it DOESN'T say that it is an NiCD charger, it's both. Thereeeee's your sign.

Old 09-13-2022, 12:13 AM
Winching
Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts

I worked for CAT years ago, they were VERY good at customer support... they made it easy to keep their gear running (easy, not cheap).

Old 11-02-2023, 12:52 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borg-Warner turbo

Originally Posted by flyingscot
Hi Monkey - no changes as far as I know but I've not had to put another one in since the last episode at 42k miles - now at 70k miles. There are some super-cheap options out there but due to the hassle that could be caused by a poor quality unit I'd only go with the Borg-Warner (thats OEM) and the cost is about $1k. Good luck.
Hi flyingscot, my mobile mechanic who used to work at Land Rover and is an excellent mechanic is reluctant to put in a non-Land Rover made turbo as he says the tolerances are very tight, and says he highly recommends going with the Land Rover turbo. However you seem to have had good luck with your Borg-Warner. What year is your Evoque? Where did you buy your turbo? Have you had any issues? How many miles on the new turbo?

Old 11-02-2023, 01:01 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Bretsky
Hi flyingscot, my mobile mechanic who used to work at Land Rover and is an excellent mechanic is reluctant to put in a non-Land Rover made turbo as he says the tolerances are very tight, and says he highly recommends going with the Land Rover turbo. However you seem to have had good luck with your Borg-Warner. What year is your Evoque? Where did you buy your turbo? Have you had any issues? How many miles on the new turbo?
Land Rover does not manufacture turbos.

guy (11-03-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 01:20 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just discovered that myself. Apparently Borg-Warner manufactures the turbo for Land Rover. Is that right?

Old 11-02-2023, 01:31 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Bretsky
I just discovered that myself. Apparently Borg-Warner manufactures the turbo for Land Rover. Is that right?
Believe it or not, if you ask Google "Who makes turbos for land rover?" it will tell you the answer.

Quick Reply: LR2 turbo replacement