LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

New to the LR2

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 02:38 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile New to the LR2

Greetings,
about to purchase a 2008 LR2 from a local family. One owner, well taken care of. Used for commuting to work in the burbs. 145,000 miles. No off road use. What are preventative maintenance issues I should take care of and other issues I should address immediately?
Thanks!

Old 10-20-2021, 06:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 543 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado Car
Greetings,
about to purchase a 2008 LR2 from a local family. One owner, well taken care of. Used for commuting to work in the burbs. 145,000 miles. No off road use. What are preventative maintenance issues I should take care of and other issues I should address immediately?
Thanks!
Does the vehicle have the owner's manual? Maintenance schedule and items are all in there. I hope you had it looked over by an experience LR mechanic as part of the prepurchase inspection. At 145k miles there are plenty of things to look at.

The following users liked this post:
guy (10-26-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 06:28 PM
4wd Low

I have not had it inspected by a mechanic.

Old 10-20-2021, 06:42 PM
Pro Wrench

I have not had it inspected by a mechanic.
Ok, so the next logical question is this... if this is your first LR2, and you have not had it inspected by an mechanic with experience on the car, how do you know it has been "well taken care of"? Does it come with full and complete maintenance records and receipts, with no gaps? It may very well be the case that the vehicle has been well taken care of, and I am not trying to dissuade you from purchasing it, but that conclusion is reached with evidence, especially with a car that has 145,000 miles. At the very least, what does CARFAX say about it?

Last edited by flybd5; 10-20-2021 at 07:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
guy (10-26-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 06:45 PM
4wd Low

Great points. And I will follow up appropriately. It is my first LR2. If it has been well taken care of, how many miles can a well cared for LR2 go?

Old 10-20-2021, 06:50 PM
Pro Wrench

Great points. And I will follow up appropriately. It is my first LR2. If it has been well taken care of, how many miles can a well cared for LR2 go?
The vehicle is like any other. It is a machine, and it has maintenance schedules to be followed. If you follow them correctly the truck should in theory last you for a very long time. Mine is the same year, has over 180,000 miles and is still going very strong. My engine runs like a sewing machine thanks to the Liqui-Moly MoS2 oil additive. IMO, you should take any claims in the manual of "lifetime fluid" such as the transmission fluid with a big grain of salt.

But we are getting ahead of ourselves. You need to gather evidence to show that you are starting with a solid vehicle in good condition. Once you do that, if you decide to purchase it, this community can very much help you figure out what to do to keep it in good shape, and take corrective action when something goes wrong.

Old 10-20-2021, 06:54 PM
4wd Low

Sounds like a plan. Thank you very much for your help.

Old 10-20-2021, 07:02 PM
Pro Wrench

Sounds like a plan. Thank you very much for your help.
You're welcome. Keep us updated on your progress.

Old 10-21-2021, 09:31 AM
Winching
Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Land Rover's recommended maintenance schedule assumes you're not going to keep the car longer than the warranty or lease period. They suggest a "sealed-for-life" philiosphy for many of the gearboxs... that simply means the "life" will not be much over 100K.

The drivetrain is volvo, and they actually have mx schedules for the stuff LR does not.

At a minimum if you get the car, you'll want catch up on the items listed in this thread for Factory Intervals and No Factory Intervals. Hopefully the PO has records showing some of this stuff was done.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic32504.html

Also in addition to the LR & Volvo scheduledif you're going on a road trip, or really need a highly reliable vehicle, you'll want to do this stuff pro-actively (if it hasn't been done)...

Replace Drive belt, idler, tensioner, water pump.
Replace radiator, coolant reservoir, large coolant hoses, PCV coolant hose & seal
Fuel pressure sender (easy)
Starter Motor (easy)
Coil Packs (easy)
Power steering reservoir and fluid (easy)

Point being, this car is probably going to be a bit of a hobby/project unless the PO already took care of a lot of this stuff.

Last edited by merlinj79; 10-21-2021 at 09:35 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by merlinj79:
Colorado Car (10-21-2021), p_gill (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 09:34 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by merlinj79
Land Rover's recommended maintenance schedule assumes you're not going to keep the car longer than the warranty or lease period. They suggest a "sealed-for-life" philiosphy for many of the gearboxs... that simply means the "life" will not be much over 100K.

The drivetrain is volvo, and they actually have mx schedules for the stuff LR does not.

At a minimum if you get the car, you'll want catch up on the items listed in this thread for Factory Intervals and No Factory Intervals. Hopefully the PO has records showing some of this stuff was done.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic32504.html

Also if you're going on a road trip, or really need a highly reliable vehicle, you'll want to do this stuff pro-actively (if it hasn't been done)...

Replace Driver belt, idler, tensioner, water pump.
Replace radiator, coolant reservoir, large coolant hoses, PCV coolant hose & seal
Fuel pressure sender (easy)
Starter Motor (easy)
Coil Packs (easy)

This car is probably going to be a bit of a hobby/project unless the PO already took care of a lot of this stuff.
Heh. At 145k miles any car is likely to become a hobby/project if it doesn't have a good maintenance record. I bought mine because it was cheap and I could do most of the work myself, and it turned out to not be so hard to bring it up to snuff and make it a reliable short/long distance driver. This is why I am urging the OP to do the homework and not walk into it blindly....

The following 2 users liked this post by flybd5:
Colorado Car (10-21-2021), guy (10-26-2021)

Quick Reply: New to the LR2