LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Off Road or Burly All Terrain tires for 19 inch wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 07:32 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe that is a canned photo that they use regardless of the size selected. I like the looks of that Cooper. Not looking for super aggressive tires, just something to get me through the occasional mud holes and off-road (logging roads, fields, etc) situations I get into. This is my wife's primary ride and she still wants a comfortable ride, but definately something with better grip than the OEM Conti. I'll save the more aggressive tire for a LR3/LR4 when I upgrade for more serious off-roading use.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the time being, I'm thinking about going with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season in 255/50R19. Pretty good reviews and I found a couple head to head comparisons with two other tires that I was thinking about getting. While looking at the Verdes, I noticed that Pirelli has a nice all terrain in the 255/55R19. Pirelli Scorpion ATR.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info on the Scorpion ATR. I looked into it and found several reviews talking negatively about it's performance on Snow and ice. I live in Montana, so that's a problem for me.

I also looked into the Goodyear 255/55R19 111S WRANGLER MT/R BLT TL. However, it has apparently been discontinued.

So I ordered the Cooper Zeon LTZ in 255/55r19. I will be having them mounted next week, and will report back.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Mudding
Default 255/55R19 tire size DOES fit on the LR2

I just got back from the tire shop, and had a set of Cooper Zeon LTZ tires put on my LR2. They are 255/55R19's and they DO fit. They didn't need spacers, and they don't rub.

They are a All-terrain tire mixed with a Sport Truck tire, and are designed for All-Terrain abilities and also to keep down on road noise. I have noticed that they are slightly louder than my nearly bald OEM Continental tires, but that is to be expected. It is barely noticeable. (Plus I think new, not bald, Contis would probably have been louder too.)

I am stoked on the new look of my car, and it handles great!

I'm ready for winter.

The following users liked this post:
Cassandra Sue Conner (04-13-2021)
Old 12-24-2012, 01:26 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried the Toyo Versado CUV's?

Old 12-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Mudding

After a few months of driving on the Cooper Zeon LTZ's, I wanted to report back in with my findings. Overall, they are an amazing tire. They provide a smooth ride in town. They are a tough stiff tire, so it is a little more rigid than the stock Continentals it came with, but not terribly noticeable. Due to this, they do seem to corner better than the stock tires.

On dirt and snow, they are incredible. I have found the LR2 very difficult to slide on snow and ice with these tires. You really have to try to get the car to slip. They provide a great ride on dirt mountain roads, and seem to not be as rigid in off pavement driving. On the highway they provide a smooth, comfortable, and very stable ride. They do make slightly more noise than my stock Conti's, but then again, they had very little tread left.

Overall, I am very happy with the Cooper Zeon LTZ's, and when they wear out, I will be purchasing another set.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to be off topic, but lazerbrains, whereabouts in MT do you live? I'm in Billings.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by wreckdiver1321
Not to be off topic, but lazerbrains, whereabouts in MT do you live? I'm in Billings.
I'm in Missoula.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:59 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lazerbrains
After a few months of driving on the Cooper Zeon LTZ's, I wanted to report back in with my findings. Overall, they are an amazing tire. They provide a smooth ride in town. They are a tough stiff tire, so it is a little more rigid than the stock Continentals it came with, but not terribly noticeable. Due to this, they do seem to corner better than the stock tires.

On dirt and snow, they are incredible. I have found the LR2 very difficult to slide on snow and ice with these tires. You really have to try to get the car to slip. They provide a great ride on dirt mountain roads, and seem to not be as rigid in off pavement driving. On the highway they provide a smooth, comfortable, and very stable ride. They do make slightly more noise than my stock Conti's, but then again, they had very little tread left.

Overall, I am very happy with the Cooper Zeon LTZ's, and when they wear out, I will be purchasing another set.

How are you going with the Cooper LTZs? I'm looking at a pair for my Freelander 2 (LR2) here in Australia. I have the optional 19" wheels (8x19s) and there are very few all terrain tyres available here. As they are a substantial increase in rolling diameter over the 235/55R19s that come with the vehicle I'm interested to know if you notice any difference with the traction control or terrain response? Do they engage any of the suspension running gear on full lock? Thanks mate.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious about highway noise - how the these Coopers compare to the stock Conti's? We took an LR2 for a loaner while the LR3 was getting worked on. We really liked it but I definitely noticed it's not nearly as quiet on the highway as the LR3 (and I have Grabber AT2 brand new tires on the LR3). If we pickup an LR2 I'd like to throw some better tires on for logging road driving with lots of sharp rocks, etc. But, given that 95% of it's time will be on the highway, noise is a concern. Thanks for the info. Could you post a pic of your LR2 with the Coopers on it?

Quick Reply: Off Road or Burly All Terrain tires for 19 inch wheels?