LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Off Road or Burly All Terrain tires for 19 inch wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cdn_downunder
How are you going with the Cooper LTZs? I'm looking at a pair for my Freelander 2 (LR2) here in Australia. I have the optional 19" wheels (8x19s) and there are very few all terrain tyres available here. As they are a substantial increase in rolling diameter over the 235/55R19s that come with the vehicle I'm interested to know if you notice any difference with the traction control or terrain response? Do they engage any of the suspension running gear on full lock? Thanks mate.
I have had no issues or difference with these tires and the terrain response or traction control. I just drove through a blizzard last night from Spokane, Washington to Missoula, Montana. (about 250 miles) with the Snow and Ice mode set. The vehicle drove beautifully. No difference at all between the way the terrain response worked before, to how it works now. And no, the tires do not rub or touch anything at all. I was also warned that these tires would change my speedo slightly, but have not seen any indication of that. I was told that Land Rover uses the spinning of the hub to gauge speed not the tire size. (Not exactly sure if that is true) But apparently my tire shop said that my speedo wouldn't be affected due to this. And it seems to be just as accurate now, as it used to be.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Eniam17
I'm curious about highway noise - how the these Coopers compare to the stock Conti's? We took an LR2 for a loaner while the LR3 was getting worked on. We really liked it but I definitely noticed it's not nearly as quiet on the highway as the LR3 (and I have Grabber AT2 brand new tires on the LR3). If we pickup an LR2 I'd like to throw some better tires on for logging road driving with lots of sharp rocks, etc. But, given that 95% of it's time will be on the highway, noise is a concern. Thanks for the info. Could you post a pic of your LR2 with the Coopers on it?
They are slightly louder than the stock Conti's, but barely noticeable. (My stock Conti's were nearly bald when I replaced them, so I think even a new set of those would've been louder). These tires are not nearly as loud as any other straight ATR tire i've driven on. They are a hybrid ATR/Sport Truck tire. So they really tried to keep the noise as minimal as possible when they designed them, and it seems to have worked.

Here is a pic of my LR2 with the tires on it. It is very dirty. I just drove through a blizzard last night. I will have to say, the traction on these tires, on snow and ice especially, is exceptional. Really makes this LR2 perform much better than with the stock tires.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4

I'l try to get some better pics in the future.

Last edited by lazerbrains; 01-11-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:19 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great looking LR2, thanks for the pics. We like the white ones a lot and yours looks great. Sounds like the Coopers are the way to go. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:23 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lazerbrains
I have had no issues or difference with these tires and the terrain response or traction control. I just drove through a blizzard last night from Spokane, Washington to Missoula, Montana. (about 250 miles) with the Snow and Ice mode set. The vehicle drove beautifully. No difference at all between the way the terrain response worked before, to how it works now. And no, the tires do not rub or touch anything at all. I was also warned that these tires would change my speedo slightly, but have not seen any indication of that. I was told that Land Rover uses the spinning of the hub to gauge speed not the tire size. (Not exactly sure if that is true) But apparently my tire shop said that my speedo wouldn't be affected due to this. And it seems to be just as accurate now, as it used to be.
Thanks for the updated info mate, the tyres look great on your vehicle. Not much in the way of snow here (I'm originally from Western Canada though, so I know what you were driving through!) but lots of mud, dirt tracks, gravel and (of course) sand, to get the vehicle out and about and off road in. Am ordering a set of Cooper LTZs today and should get the fitted next week.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:44 AM
2nd Gear
Default Tire Pressure

Hi,
Just a question.
What psi do you run the tires?
I read about some guy running at 40psi. I thought this was very high.

Thanks

Old 04-22-2013, 10:43 AM
Overlanding
Default Go for the COOPERS !

I have a set of the Cooper Zeon LTZ's 255-55-19, So far love them. I have had them for about 2 months and am glad I did it. I found the best pricing from Tread Depot.com You can click on my profile and see pics of them on my 2008 LR2

Old 04-22-2013, 03:38 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the rundown on these tires lazerbrains!

I'm so torn between the LR2 and LR3 now - lol!

Old 04-23-2013, 05:24 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightcrawler
Thanks for the rundown on these tires lazerbrains!

I'm so torn between the LR2 and LR3 now - lol!
If you have a choice and you are looking at a nice LR3, go with the LR3. My wife and I were choosing between a LR2 and LR4, but lived in Hawaii at the time. We went with the LR2 based on size due to Hawaii traffic, extra small parking spaces, and gas prices at the time. We still love our LR2, but now that we're back on the mainland we miss the larger size of the LR4 when traveling, towing, off roading, etc. If, like most of today's 4x4s, it will never see anything larger than a mud puddle, go with the LR2 because gas prices suck and they require Premium Unleaded.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:39 AM
Overlanding

36 psi

Old 04-24-2013, 04:51 AM
Drifting

Deathwind: I hear ya! Each has its own + & -.

Quick Reply: Off Road or Burly All Terrain tires for 19 inch wheels?