LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Radio Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 09:02 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Radio Replacement

Does anyone know if, when replacing the stock radio on a 2009 LR2, if the replacement has to be programed to work in the vehicle or is it pretty much plug and play?

Old 06-01-2017, 10:42 AM
Drifting

I spoke with a local Land Rover mechanic and he said that it should be a straight swap with no programming required. Just thought that I would post what I found out in case others have the same question.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:42 AM
Drifting

Just an update. For those that are having an issue with the AM (or FM) radio not functioning. It may be the antenna booster but, according to the factory, its more likely the radio itself. The radio in the LR2 consists of two parts. The control panel (the part with the ***** and display) and the 6 CD Changer. The control panel is just that. There are no radio components in the control panel. The 6 CD Changer is what houses the radio components. I found a used control panel and 6 CD changer online for about $70 dollars. Even though I got both parts, I only replaced the CD changer and that solved the AM radio problem. Replacement was very easy. It took me about 15 min in total to remove and replace the changer. Hope this helps anyone with a similar problem.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:23 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the swap was done with a replacement 6 cd changer, did you need to get a code? Also, was it a different year than your 2009 (i.e. 2008-2011...I too have a 2009) I called a Land Rover dealer and tech guy said I would have bring in to get code and it might not work if bought from online (i.e.from another vehicle/VIN). I see replacement 6 CD changers on Ebay, but am afraid to buy if it won't work because of code issue. I saw another company advertising radio codes online but don't know how legit they are?

Old 10-16-2017, 08:50 PM
Drifting

The replacement is straight forward. No need for a code. Just remove the radio and CD player and replace it with the one you purchased. I don't remember the specific years but I think it was 2008 - 2011 or something similar. I asked my local Land Rover mechanic before I swapped it out and he told me in advance I would not need the code or vin #. He was correct.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:29 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for the fast reply SoCal. I'll post after completed (still have to order/buy the radio), install will be no problem as I have already taken out the old one to see if I could rattle something to make it cough up my stuck cd's (took out all small screws and still really don't get to the CD's (the changer just grinds away for a couple minutes then gives error code). Probably will have to tear apart changer completely, once I know new radio/changer work OK.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:40 PM
Drifting

Good luck!

Old 10-23-2017, 01:00 PM
4th Gear

I did the radio swap this weekend and it works (no code necessary). When I first plugged in, there was no radio reception (I was starting to get a little worried)...I unplugged and re-attached and everything worked. Thanks again SoCal.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:03 PM
Drifting

Glad it worked out. Were you able to get your CD out of the changer?

Old 10-23-2017, 02:37 PM
4th Gear

I did get my CD's back. I dismantled the old player (removed the top and next layer of screws and plate, pulled out stack with disks...the unit is wrecked now for sure). Did this once I knew the replacement worked.

Quick Reply: Radio Replacement