LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

sheldon

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 07:28 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sheldon

Can I tow a travel trailer GVWR of 3500 lbs with a 2010 LR2 with 60,000miles on it. Running perfectly.

Old 12-30-2021, 07:49 PM
Winching
Received 264 Likes on 201 Posts

I do, a 20' airstream. The vehicle tows very well.

Make sure you have the right hitch and the tongue weight weight doesn't exceed the max for your hitch (it will be close at 3500lbs GW).

Obviously you need an after-market brake controller and 7-pin connector as well, the OEM setup (if you have it) is only a 4-pin unbraked connector for lights.

I would keep the speed to 60-65 or less, most especially if you're going up mountains or it's hot outside.

Unless you're towing on flat terrain in cool weather I'd get an OBDII monitor so you can watch the coolant temp. The system tries to keep it at 90*C but the gauge won't budge off the middle until over 110*C. IMO anything over 100*C is too hot while towing since the tranny is cooled by the coolant, and is probably the most stressed component while towing.

A additional tranny cooler might help, but the best solution I've heard of is to install the OEM two-fan radiator fan assembly... others have reported that will keep the coolant temp around 90*C in pretty much all conditions.

Old 12-31-2021, 08:20 AM
4th Gear

Thanks for the good suggestions. I have a 7-pin connector but will look into an aftermarket brake controller. Is the OBD11 an OEM item? Thanks again.

Old 12-31-2021, 09:53 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by sheldon stoilen
Is the OBD11 an OEM item? Thanks again.
No. The OBDII port is for vehicle diagnostics, it's where you plug a scan-tool in.

You can buy aftermarket gauges which read and display various engine parameters when plugged into the OBDII port.

This is the one I use. I only use it for road trips or towing, not daily driving.

Amazon Amazon

Old 12-31-2021, 09:56 AM
Winching

Thanks for the good suggestions. I have a 7-pin connector but will look into an aftermarket brake controller.
Odd that you have a 7-pin with no brake controller. Perhaps a controller was installed by a PO? The PO might have kept his controller when he sold the car, leaving the wiring. Check under the steering wheel area for an unhooked wiring connector. If there is one, try to figure out which brand of controller it came from... that way you can just buy one and plug it in, vice having to do any wiring.

Old 12-31-2021, 11:07 AM
4th Gear

I have an adapter that converts 4 pin to 7 pin. My trailer hitch is aftermarket purchased and installed by U-Haul and rated for 4000lbs GVWR. I doubt vehicle has brake controller but will check with Land Rover. Thanks again.

Old 12-31-2021, 11:14 AM
Winching

I have an adapter that converts 4 pin to 7 pin. My trailer hitch is aftermarket purchased and installed by U-Haul and rated for 4000lbs GVWR. I doubt vehicle has brake controller but will check with Land Rover. Thanks again.
It will not have a BC from land rover, that was not an OEM option for the LR2. To add a BC, it will have to be wired into the existing 7-pin harness.

Old 12-31-2021, 11:17 AM
4th Gear

Got it.

Old 12-31-2021, 02:14 PM
Winching
Received 148 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by merlinj79
No. The OBDII port is for vehicle diagnostics, it's where you plug a scan-tool in.

You can buy aftermarket gauges which read and display various engine parameters when plugged into the OBDII port.

This is the one I use. I only use it for road trips or towing, not daily driving.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That's a slick-looking gauge. I assume that it uses a cable to connect to the OBD2 port since I didn't see any mention of Bluetooth. How did you route the cable to your dash so it doesn't look unsightly?

Old 12-31-2021, 05:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 522 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by LR2driver
That's a slick-looking gauge. I assume that it uses a cable to connect to the OBD2 port since I didn't see any mention of Bluetooth. How did you route the cable to your dash so it doesn't look unsightly?
The LR2 has towing electrics integrated into the vehicle, but you have to buy an OEM harness for that. The one for the US is not made anymore but the one for the EU is still available. I bought that along with a tow bar, which installed very easily. Now I have a 13 pin EU connector, and I bought adapters to convert to US 4 or 7 pin. Best of all worlds, don't have to rewire my glider's trailer after I did that in Germany.

Quick Reply: sheldon