LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Shop Labor Charges: Book Time vs Actual Time

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 01:58 PM
Winching
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Shop Labor Charges: Book Time vs Actual Time

When you guys have a repair beyond your DIY capabiltiies and you bring it into a shop, do you question whether the shop charges labor based on book time (flat rate) or actual time spent on your vehicle? I haven't "interviewed" any shops in this manner before, but I'm thinking about it now that repair costs are becoming so crazy expensive.

Old 04-30-2024, 02:05 PM
Winching
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

Every shop IMO will try to go by book if you don't know them.

Old 04-30-2024, 02:16 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ThorInc
Every shop IMO will try to go by book if you don't know them.
So that means the shop makes out better, on average, with book time.

Old 04-30-2024, 04:44 PM
Winching
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by LR2driver
I'd take that as a given. One example, Toyota mechanics make more per job by beating book. Service Dept will charge by book. I don't know about smaller shops but it really helps if you are going by word of mouth or even online reviews. If a shop is fair, it's usually reflected in the reviews. Luckily for me, my mechanic buddy emigrated but his helper is now working from home and does have access to a hoist when necessary.

Old 05-01-2024, 06:51 PM
guy
Winching
Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts

my .02 worth… The book time is fair. The tech deserves the “bonus” if they can fit more in.

Old 05-02-2024, 01:02 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A prior string got me to pondering this. My stepfather was a repairman at a showroom. I end up realizing that they charged the client the base by the help book. Assuming it said 1.75 hrs, that was the very thing the client got charged at least. Assuming that it required 1.25 hours, the client got charged for 1.75, assuming it took 2.25 , the client got charged for 2.25. Furthermore, they paid their mechanics the same way. A little while my stepfather got compensated for 65 hours and he just worked 40 since he finished the positions speedier than the book said. That is the reason I disdain taking things to vendors. Presently, my new vehicle is under guarantee for quite some time, packed in. Definitely its returning on the grounds that it won't cost me a dime. I couldn't say whether that is the manner in which they all work, yet around it is right here. From the technicians side, it's advantageous, yet from the clients side, I think it is off-base. Either charge genuine time or book time, not the one that helps the showroom the most.

Tutuapp 9Apps

Last edited by sayyid; 05-03-2024 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:59 PM
Winching
Received 264 Likes on 201 Posts

Shops do not typically charge extra if the job takes longer than book for some reason, that's on them. They win some, they lose some. If they're good they win more than they lose. It works out in the end since market forces won't let them rob everyone blind indefinitely.

It's actually good for the consumers IMO, they get a quote which they can mostly plan on. Otherwise it would be time and materials and you could get into a lot of that and then run out of money before the job is done. It's almost a risk-sharing system. On the shop's end, if they can consistently beat book they can get ahead, and maybe charge a lower hourly rate and attract more business.

My kid owns a specialty shop, lot of custom projects and classic vehicles. He charges time and materials on some jobs because there's no reliable "book" and it's hard to estimate those before you get into it.

Where shops will charge you more is if they find additional problems, outside the original estimate, in that case in most states they need your permission to proceed with additional repairs.

Old 05-02-2024, 03:56 PM
Winching

Where can I find the LR "Book" with times for various jobs? Or is it something that only dealers have access to?

Old 05-02-2024, 04:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 523 Likes on 443 Posts

No, not always. That's usually the case only if the shop has LR experience. I took my LR2 for some work at a Midas shop and they went low, severely, because what may be a 30 minute job on one car can become an all-day nightmare on an LR. They lost quite a bit of money on that one.

Old 05-02-2024, 04:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 523 Likes on 443 Posts

Where can I find the LR "Book" with times for various jobs? Or is it something that only dealers have access to?
Most use AllDataDIY but considering their service manuals suck, I would not trust their hours for anything.

The following users liked this post:
guy (05-12-2024)

Quick Reply: Shop Labor Charges: Book Time vs Actual Time