LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Steering column locked error

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 07:45 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering column locked error

Here we go again the LR2 leaves me stranded again. Turned off the car to run in to the post office and upon restart kept receiving the Steering column locked message and the car will not restart. I tried for a couple hours, tried disconnecting the battery and even checked for any OBD codes to reset and it still wont start. Luckily it didn't lock the column so I had a buddy pull me home.

Anyone have any good documents or videos taking apart the dash/steering column to get underneath? I have a new steering lock on order and hopefully it should be here this weekend LR037025 | Lock Steering Column - Land Rover Part LR037025 nice another superseded part# for the LR2 so the original had issues.

93k miles on the car now. Rear differential replaced at 60k forget when the battery just quit on me without warning. And had the cooling fan stop working when it was brand new.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:25 PM

don't know about the LR2 (mine still trouble free), but I have had two separate range rovers do this when the battery died, or neg. connection to battery came loose

Old 02-26-2016, 08:38 AM
Three Wheeling

You know what you may be right. I didn't even think about that I focused on the Steering locked message. I went out today after having the LR2 on a battery tender for a couple days and it's showing 12v. Normally it should be 14v I thought. Also when trying to start it today I noticed on the Radio it said battery low. I didn't even look there before.

Man that would be great even though I already ordered the steering column lock module. Oh well I think I'll try a battery next or at least try to jump start the car and see what happens. I'll report back

Old 02-26-2016, 11:23 AM
Three Wheeling

Damn no go. I was hopeful that it was just a battery. I replaced it and It's still getting the steering lock error. Oh well it was worth a shot and I might as well keep the replacement battery it's been a couple years since replacing it the last time. I guess I'll get started on removing those security bolts from the column that doesn't look like a fun job.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:07 PM

well, give it 24 hours, it did take time also for my column to unlock, maybe computer has to reset

Old 02-26-2016, 01:15 PM

oh, i do remember now, i had to put my battery on a 'battery tender' for 24 hours (after the neg. cable came loose, battery must have drained), so make sure your battery is at 100%, and i would also recommend a 'hard re-set' (where you touch the pos. cable and neg. cable together for few seconds -- making sure neither connected to battery of course)

Old 02-26-2016, 06:20 PM
Three Wheeling

It was the lock unfortunately. Man those security bolts were a pain. I spent a couple hours trying to beat one around. Finally I grabbed my dremel and a cut off wheel and made a slot in it. So much easier. If anyone doesn't own a dremel and needs to do this job buy one. Once I got it out a couple taps to free the lock and the car started again.
Now to wait for the new part to come in so I can complete the job. No way am I putting this one back on and getting stranded again.

I think the new one will have to be programmed for the car but at least I'll have it on all they'll have to do is program it.
Oh and the Loctite didn't help removal it was slow going getting the screws out.

Attached Thumbnails Steering column locked error-img_3344.jpg   Steering column locked error-img_3346.jpg   Steering column locked error-img_3348.jpg  

Last edited by oliver1071; 02-26-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:01 AM
Three Wheeling

Going to the dealer today on the way home to have the lock programmed.
I gave it a good whack with the butt of a screw driver and it started working again. Anyone who has 90k miles or over it may be a good idea to keep a torx driver in your glove box. It's pretty easy to remove the column cover just two torx screws on the bottom and then pry it apart. Takes a little effort to pry apart but once it's apart you can detach the forward leather boot clips and remove the upper and lower cover.
Then you'll be able to give the column lock a couple whacks to get it going again. Better than waiting for a tow truck or in my case a buddy and some tow straps.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:23 PM
Three Wheeling

Ok I'm really not happy today. I put PN LR037025 on the 2008 LR2 and took it in to get paired. They tell me that this is for a European LR2 and that in the US you have to replace the entire steering column $1100.
You're kidding me right I have to replace the entire column for a $200 part that bolts on with 2 screws and a plug.

Anyone know how to bypass this POS device? Oh and it's fitting that today was my final payment it's paid off.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Yesss this is the best solution ever and economic.....

Originally Posted by oliver1071
Going to the dealer today on the way home to have the lock programmed.
I gave it a good whack with the butt of a screw driver and it started working again. Anyone who has 90k miles or over it may be a good idea to keep a torx driver in your glove box. It's pretty easy to remove the column cover just two torx screws on the bottom and then pry it apart. Takes a little effort to pry apart but once it's apart you can detach the forward leather boot clips and remove the upper and lower cover.
Then you'll be able to give the column lock a couple whacks to get it going again. Better than waiting for a tow truck or in my case a buddy and some tow straps.

well thanks oliver 1071... before i have parked the car at the market nothing was wrong till i came back in 10 minutes.. yew steering column locked error... went thru some service guys tryinto get info.. meanwhile i wa tryin to read the forums.. and disengaging the battery and so... the final decisin was to leave the car qhere it was.. and i did so... so i was going to have it towed... to the service..... but no.. arrived home read some more stuff on internet... and fi ally grabbed my torx drives and after 10 minutes i was tapping on that sensor or what ever and it started.... thank you once agaon oliver 1071.. this saved my entire night and a lot...

Quick Reply: Steering column locked error