LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Sunroof broken-just want it to close

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 11:34 AM
KTI
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof broken-just want it to close

Hi all, my '08 sunroof is definitely broken (there were some pieces that came off when I manually vented it) and I cannot manually close it. There was a ton of wind noise which is why I even messed with it in the first place. I don't even care about getting it fixed so that the sunroof actually works, I just want to to close and not make wind noise. I called and my VIN doesn't fall under the factory recall. Any ideas before I call the shop?
Thanks!
Katie

Old 05-13-2021, 01:59 PM
Winching
Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

Hey Katie, I suggest that you:

1) Check your VIN against the recall notice (link shown below) to satisfy yourself that you really don't fall under the recall. I know you called, but always good to verify yourself.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/200...8V055-6907.pdf

2) For replacement parts, try to determine if the sunroof assembly is broken or just the glass panel. Then you can find a used replacement. You can check eBay or this website which contains listings from many recyclers (they don't call them junkyards anymore):

https://www.car-part.com/

The following users liked this post:
flybd5 (05-13-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 02:57 PM
KTI
5th Gear

Ok, got it to close! Both of the side arms were disconnected from the thing that moves back and forth (that all still runs). So, I took both of them out and was able to push the sunroof closed. It does however still make wind noise and I am wondering how to fix that. Checked the VIN, no luck.

Old 05-13-2021, 03:04 PM
Winching

Some weatherproofing insulation tape at the hardware store can probably seal around the edges and stop the wind noise.

Just be sure the panel is secure and the wind won't catch it and pull it off while driving at high speed. That was the concern with the safety recall.

Old 05-15-2021, 11:11 AM
KTI
5th Gear

Ok, so I do feel like it should be in the recall but when I type my VIN into the landrover website it says it is not. If anyone can find anything, here is the VIN

SALFR24N68H059383. Based off of that document you sent me I feel like it falls in that range. I went to an Auto Body shop and they said it would be almost 2K to replace it for me. I am tempted to just seal it all up but want to make sure I am not missing anything first.

Thanks!

Old 05-15-2021, 12:35 PM
Winching

Your VIN does appear to be within the recall. However, I just entered it into this LR website and it does not show any open recalls:

https://www.landroverusa.com/ownership/vin-recall.html

My best guess is that LR purges the recall entries after ten years. I entered my own VIN and it did not show any recalls, while I had several completed.

Are you the original owner of this vehicle? If it was brought into the LR dealer for any service (even a routine oil change) they would have performed the recall during the earlier years. It's possible the recall fix was performed and the mechanism simply broke afterwards.

I'm sorry I don't have any better suggestions at this point.

Last edited by LR2driver; 05-15-2021 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Removed NHTSA statement - does not apply to this situation.
Old 05-15-2021, 12:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 535 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by KTI
Ok, so I do feel like it should be in the recall but when I type my VIN into the landrover website it says it is not. If anyone can find anything, here is the VIN

SALFR24N68H059383. Based off of that document you sent me I feel like it falls in that range. I went to an Auto Body shop and they said it would be almost 2K to replace it for me. I am tempted to just seal it all up but want to make sure I am not missing anything first.

Thanks!
Call the dealer, ask for the service department, give them your VIN and ask if the car has had the P009 and P010 recalls worked on. If it has not, the dealer MUST do the work. This is FEDERAL law and they cannot refuse to do so. If they refuse, tell them you will file an immediate complaint with DOT and NHTSA and use this info to do so:

Vehicle Safety Hotline
NHTSA operates the U.S. Department of Transportation’s (DOT) Vehicle Safety Hotline telephone service to collect accurate and timely information from consumers on vehicle safety problems. You can call 1-888-327-4236 or 1-800-424-9393 toll free from anywhere in the United States, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands to register complaints or receive recall information about a vehicle. The Hotline also has Spanish-speaking representatives and offers a dedicated number, 1-800-424-9153, for use by persons with hearing impairments.
The dealer will likely perform the recall service just to avoid the hassle of a complaint to DOT/NHTSA.

If the recalls have been done then you are left with the option of going to an experienced Land Rover mechanic.

Old 05-15-2021, 12:53 PM
Winching
Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

The NHTSA database also says no outstanding recalls for that VIN, so maybe it was already done.