LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Tire Rotation Pattern?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 04:54 PM
Winching
Received 265 Likes on 202 Posts
Default Tire Rotation Pattern?

Manual says to rotate side-to-side, not front-to-rear.

Anyone think of a reason not to do front-to-rear? I prefer that since it evens out the wear, the fronts on this car tend to wear faster.

I always replace all four at the same time to keep tire diameter the same to reduce stress on drivetrain (rear diff).

Also I ran uni-directional tires once... those cannot be swapped to the other side.

Thanks

Old 07-14-2020, 10:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 525 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by merlinj79
Manual says to rotate side-to-side, not front-to-rear.
Oh? Where? I just checked, the owner's manual doesn't even mention tire rotation. Which page?

Old 07-15-2020, 10:52 AM
Winching
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

I always do front to rear, my snows are directional.........

Old 07-15-2020, 11:09 AM
Pro Wrench

I wonder if NASCAR fans always rotate the tires to the left.

The following users liked this post:
guy (07-17-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 06:23 PM
Winching

It's in the LR2 Mx schedule, Under Vehicle section....

"Install road wheels to opposite side of the vehicle – except
uni-directional tires which install on same side"

I guess if it's OK to keep uni-directional tires on the same side, it should be OK for any tires.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:52 PM
Pro Wrench

That doesn't mean that you can't swap front and rear, just that you have to swap left and right when you do so.

Old 07-16-2020, 10:50 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by flybd5
That doesn't mean that you can't swap front and rear, just that you have to swap left and right when you do so.
Yeah that's true. That's what many of my older cars used to call for.

Old 06-16-2021, 12:02 AM
Winching
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

My 08 LR2 Owner's Handbook says (page 176):

"Do not swap tires around the vehicle. Tires bed in to the specific characteristics of each wheel position. Swapping them around may affect the vehicle's handling and traction."

I also checked the LR2 maintenance schedule and it does not indicate a tire rotation at any interval.

Most owner's manuals tell you very plainly how to rotate the tires. They usually provide a simple diagram with arrows between the wheels. There's nothing like that in the LR2 manual.

So, does this mean we are not supposed to rotate the tires (which is just fine with me)?

Old 06-16-2021, 09:43 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by LR2driver
My 08 LR2 Owner's Handbook says (page 176):

"Do not swap tires around the vehicle. Tires bed in to the specific characteristics of each wheel position. Swapping them around may affect the vehicle's handling and traction."

I also checked the LR2 maintenance schedule and it does not indicate a tire rotation at any interval.

Most owner's manuals tell you very plainly how to rotate the tires. They usually provide a simple diagram with arrows between the wheels. There's nothing like that in the LR2 manual.

So, does this mean we are not supposed to rotate the tires (which is just fine with me)?
Typical JLR, I never noticed that in the owner's manual but the mx schedule says this: "Install road wheels to opposite side of the vehicle – except uni-directional tires which install on same side", which contradicts the owner's manual.

I use uni-directional tires, so I keep them on the same side. I do rotate front and rear pairs about every 10K just to even out wear, otherwise the fronts wear out sooner from steering geometry. Handles just fine.

With any AWD you ideally want change all four tires together, otherwise you might be winding up the drivetrain if the AWD stays engaged (not sure what traction modes, if any, would keep it on full time). Worse if it's a permanent, full-time AWD... in that case you're driving around with the drive train wound up tight all the time and the tires (or a clutch if it has one) have to slip to relieve the pressure.

With our rear diff issues I think it's important to keep the two rear tires matched and at the same pressure (to avoid stress on the gearbox), I'm religious about that. Monthly check seems to keep them all within 1 psi. For that reason I would never do a swap that unmatched the rears.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:41 PM
Winching
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by merlinj79
Typical JLR...
I looked into this a little more. It's not JLR, it's a Volvo thing. They do not recommend tire rotation.

Quick Reply: Tire Rotation Pattern?