LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Transport mode???

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2023 | 12:58 PM
|
Pro Wrench
Default Transport mode???

Hey. Lookit what I found in the Service Manual.

Transport Mode

All new vehicles will be delivered from the factory in transport mode. Transport mode replaces the traditional transit relay
and inhibits a number of electrical systems and features to eliminate quiescent drain from the battery during delivery.
When the vehicle is in transport mode 'transp' will be displayed in the instrument cluster odometer.

To remove the vehicle from transport mode, the Land Rover approved diagnostic system must be connected during the
Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI). For more information, refer to the PDI manual.

What the heck? Is LR admitting that the parasitic draw on the battery is a FEATURE and not a bug?

Old 08-10-2023 | 05:44 AM
Three Wheeling

Just to go a little further - many manufacturers have a transport mode, since shipping times can be in the 'months' time frame. Another part of the manual tells the LR dealer how long a car can sit, after PDI, without charging and that the battery must be replaced if the time frame is not followed and the battery goes flat! Shows how critical it is for the battery to be put on a maintainer, or disconnect, if we are going to leave the LR not running for an extended time.
Some Audi dealers use solar chargers to help maintain the battery while on the lot.

Old 08-10-2023 | 08:14 AM
|
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by OldKarz
Just to go a little further - many manufacturers have a transport mode, since shipping times can be in the 'months' time frame. Another part of the manual tells the LR dealer how long a car can sit, after PDI, without charging and that the battery must be replaced if the time frame is not followed and the battery goes flat! Shows how critical it is for the battery to be put on a maintainer, or disconnect, if we are going to leave the LR not running for an extended time.
Some Audi dealers use solar chargers to help maintain the battery while on the lot.
Begs the question as to why there isn't a simple way for the owner to enable and disable the mode for when the vehicle is not planned to be used for an extended period.

Old 08-10-2023 | 08:26 AM
Three Wheeling

They would have to rewrite the SW since the vehicle will start and run in Transport mode but most of the systems will not work. They do not want owners driving around with systems shut down.

Old 08-10-2023 | 08:44 AM
|
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by OldKarz
They would have to rewrite the SW since the vehicle will start and run in Transport mode but most of the systems will not work. They do not want owners driving around with systems shut down.
No rewrite is necessary. Modifications to the code would be required. Big difference.

Old 08-10-2023 | 12:01 PM
Winching

You could provide an owner storage mode that disables almost everything including starting the vehicle, leaving only one function available: exiting storage mode.

The following users liked this post:
Anduril (02-21-2024)
Old 08-10-2023 | 12:03 PM
|
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by merlinj79
You could provide an owner storage mode that disables almost everything including starting the vehicle, leaving only one function available: exiting storage mode.

Anduril (02-21-2024)
Old 08-10-2023 | 04:21 PM
Winching

Top Post Battery Disconnect Switch 12V / 24V 250/750 Amps Knife Blade Isolator Power Cutoff Switch for Marine Car Boat RV ATV (Negative, Vertical)
I installed one of these which I bought from Amazon. Of course, if you are going to use it, the manual key must be used to lock driver's door. I would post a link but my tablet won't let me from the Amazon acct....

I have used it many times, more times just working on the LR2.

The following 2 users liked this post by ThorInc:
flybd5 (08-10-2023), flyingscot (08-19-2023)
Old 08-10-2023 | 05:23 PM
Three Wheeling

Just think how much money the dealers and indies would loose!

Old 08-11-2023 | 01:01 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ThorInc
Top Post Battery Disconnect Switch 12V / 24V 250/750 Amps Knife Blade Isolator Power Cutoff Switch for Marine Car Boat RV ATV (Negative, Vertical)
I installed one of these which I bought from Amazon. Of course, if you are going to use it, the manual key must be used to lock driver's door. I would post a link but my tablet won't let me from the Amazon acct....

I have used it many times, more times just working on the LR2.
I use similar switches for any vehicle which is rarely operated. They work great, keep the battery functional for many months.

flyingscot (08-19-2023)

Quick Reply: Transport mode???