LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Turbocharger failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2021 | 11:28 AM
|
4wd Low
Default Turbocharger failure

99000 miles, turbo failed, it’s being replaced. I do have a question, guess maybe a fishing question. My car was rear ended 3 months ago, 4000.00 damage, all repaired, the muffler had to be replaced, ( Land Rover muffler, came from England, took 2 months), any way, is there any possibility that the collision damaged the turbo? Every thing worked well after the car was repaired, never did smell gas, no smoke, no signs of turbo failure till it quit, then there was a loss of power and loud noise like major vacuum leak

Old 12-23-2021 | 12:40 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Don Woodard
99000 miles, turbo failed, it’s being replaced. I do have a question, guess maybe a fishing question. My car was rear ended 3 months ago, 4000.00 damage, all repaired, the muffler had to be replaced, ( Land Rover muffler, came from England, took 2 months), any way, is there any possibility that the collision damaged the turbo? Every thing worked well after the car was repaired, never did smell gas, no smoke, no signs of turbo failure till it quit, then there was a loss of power and loud noise like major vacuum leak
Yes, you are fishing. That's the other end of the car. The turbo's on newer LR2's have a history of failing and you'd never be able to prove the rear end crash had anything to do with it.

The following users liked this post:
ThorInc (12-23-2021)
Old 12-23-2021 | 01:37 PM
|
4wd Low

I realize where the turbocharger is, but it is made as part of the exhaust manifold which in turns connects to the exhaust system.

Old 12-23-2021 | 02:20 PM
Pro Wrench

I realize where the turbocharger is, but it is made as part of the exhaust manifold which in turns connects to the exhaust system.
LOL! Are you kidding me? The exhaust in the rear connects to a SEPARATE catalytic converter assembly, which connects to a SEPARATE exhaust assembly with another set of catalytic converters, to the exhaust manifold. Talk about a stretch! I realize you're mad about having to replace the turbo, I get that, 'cause it's not cheap, but this argument is DOA. I suggest you try car-parts.com to see if a salvager has a used unit with low miles.

Old 12-29-2021 | 05:06 PM
|
4wd Low

I had Land Rover change my turbocharger, I have no option due to age and physical disability, it was expensive but results are great…at least it’s done…

flybd5 (12-29-2021)
Old 12-30-2021 | 07:50 PM
Winching

I would expect an automotive turbo to fail after 100K anyway. You should be good for a while now.

Old 12-31-2021 | 05:08 PM
Pro Wrench

According to Garrett, the company that makes a pisspotful or turbochargers for many applications, less than 1% of turbos fail because of manufacturing defects. Most failures are caused by the three ‘turbo killers’ of oil starvation, oil contamination and foreign object damage. More than 90% of turbocharger failures are caused oil related either by oil starvation or oil contamination. Blocked or leaking pipes or lack of priming on fitting usually causes oil starvation.

In other words, take good care of your engine's lubrication and you will be less likely to have to deal with a turbocharger failure.

Old 01-01-2022 | 10:41 AM
|
4wd Low

Land Rover said the issue was electrical and not mechanical

Old 01-01-2022 | 10:51 AM
Pro Wrench

Land Rover said the issue was electrical and not mechanical
They did? There should only be one electrical part on the LR2 turbocharger, the wastegate valve, and that's a replaceable item, you can even find it on eBay. If so, why didn't they replace that instead of the entire turbocharger? That sounds sketchy...

guy (01-02-2022)
Old 01-02-2022 | 07:59 AM
guy
Winching

Another common issue on the earlier models of the turbo on the ecoboost engines was a crack in the casing. I wonder what would have been the cause for that?

I have read this thread twice and can’t seem to find a mention of the exact model of vehicle…

But due to some troublemakers… look what I found: https://www.dieselusa.com/garrett_ec...ochargers.html
sigh/. If I could only upgrade the engine…

Last edited by guy; 01-02-2022 at 08:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Turbocharger failure