LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Used 2008 land rover lr2

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 04:14 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used 2008 land rover lr2

So i just bought a 2008 Land Rover LR2 Se at a auction. Love the car so far but one major issue. They only had one key fob and its completely dead. I cant lock or unlock the vehicle. Also the Key that is supposed to come with it i did not get and the auction house says they dont have it. I spoke to a dealership and its gonna cost me over $800 to get a new key fob and key programmed and cut. So my question is doesnt anyone know of any cheaper ways to do it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 11-15-2022, 09:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 307 Likes on 243 Posts

Let's assume that you can use the key to start the engine

If the ECU went into deep sleep mode then you may need to wake it up. For my LR2 this happened with the Alarm set and using the emergency key triggered the Alarm but once I got inside the vehicle and started the engine everything was fine.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic37...ht=key+battery

The battery in the key fob can be replaced but it requires you to cut open the shell (and you will need a new battery and a new shell)

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic32...ht=key+battery

Let us know what you find out

Take care

Paul

Old 11-15-2022, 11:01 AM
Winching
Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts

I assume the key starts the car, but just won't do remote functions?

If so, you can program a new key, there are $30 ish aftermarket keys available. You need software, many of us have used the Autel AP200 which connects to the OBD2 port ($60-ish). You can also get a bootleg copy of the land rover SDD software, but that requires special hardware.

The AP200 software is a little bit funky but I've used it twice successfully. Info in this thread, towards the end of the thread...

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic10...8a1ebd1e895bd6

Last edited by merlinj79; 11-15-2022 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-15-2022, 11:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Try this if you have the one fob but the fob battery or auto battery is dead:

Old 11-15-2022, 04:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 519 Likes on 439 Posts

The FOB can be carefully popped open and the battery replaced (if I remember correctly it is a 2032) but you have to carefully unsolder the contacts and then solder them again with the new battery. The FOB can then be closed up again (or glued back together). That will allow you to lock and unlock the car. You can also buy a third party FOB and reprogram it for your car, but be careful about doing that. I paid $120 to the dealer to do it because I wasn't sure how many FOBs had already been programmed for it and there is a limit how many you can program to the car.

Old 11-15-2022, 04:39 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by flybd5
The FOB can be carefully popped open and the battery replaced (if I remember correctly it is a 2032) but you have to carefully unsolder the contacts and then solder them again with the new battery. The FOB can then be closed up again (or glued back together). That will allow you to lock and unlock the car. You can also buy a third party FOB and reprogram it for your car, but be careful about doing that. I paid $120 to the dealer to do it because I wasn't sure how many FOBs had already been programmed for it and there is a limit how many you can program to the car.

There is a limit but it's pretty high, 30 or something like that. Mine has had 4-5 new keys since I got it, and it was four years old then. So worst case maybe another 4 keys that I don't know about? So less than ten keys in 14 years.

But once again you have to wonder what JLR was even thinking??? Why have an upper limit? And what happens if you reach it? Buy a new ignition dock module?

Old 11-15-2022, 05:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 519 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by merlinj79
There is a limit but it's pretty high, 30 or something like that. Mine has had 4-5 new keys since I got it, and it was four years old then. So worst case maybe another 4 keys that I don't know about? So less than ten keys in 14 years.

But once again you have to wonder what JLR was even thinking??? Why have an upper limit? And what happens if you reach it? Buy a new ignition dock module?
You sure about that? I thought the JLR/SDD software said it was much lower than that, but I haven't checked it lately.

Old 11-15-2022, 06:53 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by flybd5
You sure about that? I thought the JLR/SDD software said it was much lower than that, but I haven't checked it lately.
Pretty sure.

IIRC, there's a max number which can be programmed at any one time, single digits? Then there's a higher lifetime cap on keys, why FFS I don't know.

Old 11-15-2022, 10:09 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the responses. So I dont actually have the emergency key. The top of the key fob is broken off and there is no key there. I am able to start and drive the car just cant lock and unlock. Im also worried if something ever goes wrong and i need the emergency key i dont have it. Ill have to look into buying a new fob and trying to reprogram it. They key its self is the problem and most expensive thing apparently.

Old 11-16-2022, 12:02 AM
Winching

Yeah, you'll want the mechanical key. The dealer can cut that based on the VIN. I suspect the dealer will charge you for a new fob, programming, and everything.

A locksmith *might* be able to cut one; you'll have to ask them.

The aftermarket fobs which I've purchased did come with a blank mechanical key.

Quick Reply: Used 2008 land rover lr2